Featured Vintage Valentina top - wool, sequins and ... what do you call these sleeves?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Aug 18, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store (along with a cool USA eagle leather jacket!). It's by Valentina & it says it's made of wool, but all I see are the sequins! (hey, I'm a guy)
    My question is - what do I call the sleeves; they look like they are made of beaded strings?
    Last photos are of the leather jacket I also found - it's a beauty!
    Thanks!

CLOTHES TOP LADIES VALENTINA WOOL SEQUINS 1AA.JPG CLOTHES TOP LADIES VALENTINA WOOL SEQUINS 1AAA.JPG CLOTHES TOP LADIES VALENTINA WOOL SEQUINS 3AA.JPG CLOTHES TOP LADIES VALENTINA WOOL SEQUINS 3AAA.JPG CLOTHES TOP LADIES VALENTINA WOOL SEQUINS 5AA.JPG CLOTHES TOP LADIES VALENTINA WOOL SEQUINS 8AA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET LEATHER USA EAGLE FERUGINI 1AA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET LEATHER USA EAGLE FERUGINI 2AA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET LEATHER USA EAGLE FERUGINI 3AA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET LEATHER USA EAGLE FERUGINI 4AA.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The Valentina is 1960s. I love that Hong Kong sequinned stuff.

Sead beed strand sleeves would do.

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Ownedbybear likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would expect it to have had matching pants at one time.

Debora

stracci likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Metal zipper?

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

My ma used to buy these tops, I still have some of hers - from memory, they weren't sold with matching trousers here. She'd wear them with a long plain skirt or a plain mini. I've got about a dozen, some Valentina, some not. A couple are cashmere, which is even nicer to wear.

Figtree3, stracci and reader like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea, but I like that biker jacket. Couldn't wear it myself, it weighs too much, but somebody sure would. It would probably sell better than the blouse would these days.

reader and stracci like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’d call the beaded top a cuffed string beaded lantern sleeve.

9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Incredible that the bead strands aren't broken!

I've never seen such a thing before... cool!
    Leslie

Figtree3, stracci and reader like this.
  10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

IMO that sleeve type can really come off pretty trashy in a not good Vegas kind of way but here’s a really elegant and very pretty version. Younger me would have worn it with either black Issey Miyake pants or an ankle length Issey skirt for black tie. I think it’s gorgeous and wonderful quality.

Figtree3 and stracci like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

I'd still wear that in a heartbeat.

reader likes this.
  12. evelyb30

I might, but it's wool (can't wear animal fibers unless it's over a wetsuit) and about five sizes too small. And gold - don't need to look any worse than I already do!

13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Visualizing over a wetsuit…I like gold and black…

14. evelyb30

Probably look better over a black bodysuit if need be. Some really skinny bold types would probably rock it over a black catsuit and out the door.

reader likes this.
  15. VintageAlways

VintageAlways Active Member

I have a leather jacket similar to that with the eagle. Also I bought it with chaps. I was so excited when I found it, LOL.

journeymagazine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted