Featured Wagon wheel chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DivasFinds, Jan 20, 2019.

1. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

Salvaged this old chair. Obviously needs reupholstering but still kinda cool. Any insight on brand, age, type? It rocks and the springs are in ok shape. 20190120_145732-756x1008.jpg 20190120_145739-756x1008.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks manufactured by Brandt.

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Anti, I wonder if THIS went with it:
    img0 (15).jpg
    https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/s...ak-sofa-w-wagon-wheels-mountains/id-f_773364/

The 1st Dibs listing included this info:

In the late 1930's a legendary Fort Worth, Texas furniture company was born, A. Brandt and Sons. Known worldwide for their strong and sturdy cowboy style furnishings, their Ranch Oak line is highly collectible and regarded as fun and funky well constructed vintage American furniture.

For anyone who can see Pinterest links, there are several other Brandt wagon-wheel chairs shown there.
    For instance:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/371335931748978017/?lp=true

4. DivasFinds

Yeah been looking online tonight trying to find more info on it. These are pretty expensive and collectible items, altho mine is pretty rough. Having a helluva time trying to price it out....

5. antidiem

Thanks, SBSVC :cat:

SBSVC, i need help and judy like this.
  6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

That type is called a platform rocker.
    Patd

DivasFinds, antidiem, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would use an American Indian or Mexican blanket as a throw over the broken leather. It would still sell for a lot more than if you had it recovered.
    greg

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like Brandt. They put distinctive gouges in the wood of their furniture to give it a more rustic look.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If the leather is really vinyl, it would probably be OK to recover it although for resale I wouldn't bother. Let the buyer mess with it.

10. antidiem

Well, it's oak, my Brandt piece is also oak (although it is a dresser w horseshoe handles!) but it is lighter wood (pickled white-ish?) and it does have the faux gouges. It also has the same "finish buttons" as the wagon wheel chair (4 little round wood buttons at the bottom that hide the screws).

I am sure there could have been more than one western oak furniture manufacturing company, just not sure I've ever found another. Mine clearly states the name burned into the inside of a drawer, but this one does not. So, I concur that @verybrad 's opinion of furniture is definitely a possibility.

judy, DivasFinds and i need help like this.
  11. antidiem

i need help likes this.
  12. DivasFinds

Thanks everyone for the input! Anyone want to go out on a limb regarding what I should price it at? I'm thinking $150 possibly since the arms and springs are seemingly good!?

i need help likes this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would price at 300 bucks it is easier to come down than go up.
    greg

i need help and DivasFinds like this.
  14. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Depends where you live. I would expect that to sit a long time at either price here in northeast given style and condition. But should do better in west and Southwest.

verybrad and i need help like this.
  15. DivasFinds

I'm in Seattle area which is generally a good market for antiques/collectible stuff....I have it at $300 but will likely have to drop it.....might as well try! You never know. thanks all for the insight on my chair!!!!

James Conrad and antidiem like this.
  16. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

DivasFinds and antidiem like this.
  17. DivasFinds

Got $100 for it today...feeling pretty good about it

James Conrad likes this.
  18. evelyb30

Rock me Mamma like a wagon wheel....(LOL)

James Conrad and DivasFinds like this.
  19. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I'd say Diva did well considering, $100. for a piece that needs work yesterday, kinda doubts that would happen on the east coast.

Jeff Drum and DivasFinds like this.
  20. evelyb30

Meanwhile, out West someone would be thinking the buyer got a great deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted