Featured Wall Plaque Pottery Mark Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cxgirl, Aug 2, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I should know this mark but I'm drawing a blank - anyone know who did this. Wall plaque, 5"L.
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking
    DSCF4223.jpg DSCF4224.jpg DSCF4225.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Dutch. Can't recall who, it's too damn hot.

judy, cxgirl, i need help and 2 others like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks bear, I'll see what I can find. Hope the weather changes for you:)

judy likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Do I call this Delftware for searching?

cxgirl likes this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I tried both Delft and delftware. Some marks are similar

i need help likes this.
  6. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

The mark is a total fake. It is based on symbol used by the 18th century Italian pottery family of Conrado of Albisola. I have seen a dozen fake variations over the years. The symbol in the center of the plate is the “Giglio” (pronouced “geel-yo”) or lily. It has been the symbol of the city of Florence since the 13th century. It is similar to the French Fleur-de-lys but it is centuries older. Please note that Florence has no connection to Albisola, which is near Genoa (Genova). So it would seem odd that a ceramist from Albisola or a Dutchman from Holland would be making plates for a patron in Florence. The plate is simply glazed earthenware. If it were made with a tin glaze it would be called Faience or Delftware in Holland. Since this is a totally recently made ceramic it may not be tin glazed.

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you Walter:) this is interesting! Yes, this is new and not tin glazed, into the donation box it goes.

i need help and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted