Walter Anderson Print

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Apr 14, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Reproduction? The image is about 7" x 5"
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think "Walter Anderson" is the person who dropped it off to have it framed.

3. kardinalisimo

I was expecting google to recognize the image but no. I see that the artist rarely signed his work so whoever put his name on the back must have known something.
    By the way, what kind of printing technique was used?

4. kardinalisimo

Hm, that is possible. I thought it has something to do with Walter Inglis Anderson.

5. antidiem

I don't think it's the same artist who did the watercolors, somewhat similar in style but I doubt similar enough. I've looked at a bit more of his work and I guess I wouldn't rule it out although I only saw block prints (which this is not). It's possible this was done to advertise an exhibition?

It does not appear to have been pulled from a linoleum or woodcut block, so I would guess it to be an inexpensive offset lithograph printed on watercolor paper. I suppose it could even have been printed from a computer on a home printer in red.

I suggest you put it up for sale and just show what you've shown here, let any potential buyer figure it out.

6. antidiem

Perhaps there is more on the back of the print?

If you take it apart, save the original paper backing. Looks like someone already cracked into it and taped it back up. Maybe you can do the same?

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I believe that this is a framed Christmas card...............

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't shoot any flames, Mansons ;) - I agree with your assessment.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

10. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

The Anderson family used to be very nice about answering emails regarding the old pottery, and give you a yeah or nay regarding authentication. You might try sending your pictures, either through the Shearwater Pottery site or the Walter Inglis Anderson Museum site.

antidiem likes this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Fine art isn't framed with newsprint on the back or those toothed hangers. If I tried showing my amateur work in a gallery framed like that, they'd toss me out on my ear. The backing isn't worth anything. I'd say remove it, saving the paper if you really must, and open it up to see what else is on the print, if anything. It certainly won't reduce the value unless you can convince a buyer it's by Anderson without any verification.

antidiem likes this.
  12. kardinalisimo

Took it out of the frame. The print's paper is glued to a paper board but seems like there is no additional info. The size is kind of small and the paper is in too good condition to be done by Anderson.
    So, I guess just a print by someone...

13. antidiem

Agreed, Mansons. Thanks.

14. antidiem

In all fairness, amongst all those watercolors and watercolored prints, I finally did see one of people in which there was a similar same flat hand. This is the reason I doubled back. However this is a stylized method for those who have trouble drawing the human hand to appear to be "human" lol.

The paper serves to put a date on it although that's not an accurate method of dating it.

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Putting it in a decent mat and frame without the paper would make it more attractive in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted