Walter Plunkett costume sketch: trying to id actress and movie

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by gimbler-dave, Dec 6, 2014.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

I'm trying to identify the actress and movie associated with this Walter Plunkett costume sketch. The piece is marked "#3 Municipal Court" at upper right, signed Plunkett at lower right, and marked "Black Jacket instead of red!" at upper left. Faint marking at lower right below Plunkett looks like initials "pb".

This looks like Katharine Hepburn to me and at first I thought the movie might be "Adam's Rib". The outfit however doesn't seem to fit the period, or a courtroom setting. The head apparel puzzles me as well -- maybe someone can tell me what it is? I've checked the other Hepburn movies that Plunkett was involved with, and now wonder if this is really Hepburn? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks ... Dave
    db_plunkett_1.JPG
    db_plunkett_2.JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id vote Katherine Hepburn !

3. johnnycb09

Little Women, 1933 ?

4. johnnycb09

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I vote for Little Women too. I just saw another LW costume on Pinterest (not signed up there so I couldn't figure out how to copy here) and it's definitely the same "look."

6. Bakersgma

What is the problem with links to it on Wiki? Can't get them to work.

7. gimbler-dave

Great! I will check that out - Thank you! ... Dave

8. johnnycb09

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. johnnycb09

I don't know ! :( but the above sentence is the one of interest,this could be a real find ! I believe those scraps in the upper corner might be the originals !

10. Bakersgma

That was one of the parts of the entry that got me going too!

11. gimbler-dave

Was there a court scene in the movie?

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Good question, Dave. The summary of the story is quite "general" and there isn't one specifically mentioned, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Unfortunately, and to my eternal shame, I never read the book. :eggface:

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be 'court' as in attending on Royalty. I don't recall any such scene in Little Women, but it could be some other costume drama.

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Since it was for the movie and not the book, there is a possibilaty that the court scene might have been cut. It would be necessary to check with a working script. I was in a movie with Joanne Woodard and Silva Sidney called "Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams" where my big scene was cut out at the final editing. God I loved the 70s. I really love your sketch.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Plunkett also worked on films like Kiss Me Kate, and The Prisoner of Zenda. Could be from a lot of different projects.

On second thought, it says "Municipal Court". That suggests an American subject.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  16. Bakersgma

You forgot Gone With The Wind. ;) His filmography is enormous!!

17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It does look like Katharine Hepburn. And I've read Little Women several times in my life and don't remember a court scene. I've also seen the Hepburn movie version about 3-5 times and don't remember one.

This costume does have a 19th-century feel (not sure about the turban, though).

There is a Facebook page dedicated to Walter Plunkett that can be viewed without being logged in: https://www.facebook.com/WalterPlunkett

I looked at a lot of the photos, because many are actually his drawings. He did do drawings that looked like the actress for whom the costume was intended. I do not think this drawing resembles Vivien Leigh, except for the dark hair. It could be somebody else besides Hepburn, but it seems likely to be her.

And, it's possible there was a courtroom scene in LW that I've forgotten.

18. gimbler-dave

There's 12 titles in common between Hepburn and Plunkett, according to IMDB. I've had a chance to quickly review Little Women, and I don't see the outfit there, but as mentioned, it could be from a cut scene. If it is not Hepburn, then the possibilities get much larger, as Plunkett worked in MANY movies (including GWTW).

19. gimbler-dave

Thank you for the Facebook link!

20. James

James New Member

This design if for "song of Love" Hepburn plays Clara Schumann it's from the scene in court where they are trying to get her father to agree to her marriage with Schumann.

Draft saved Draft deleted