Want to date this gent?

Discussion in 'Art' started by sassafras, Sep 11, 2018.

1. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Would love to get some opinions on the age of this painting. Any info on the artist, G. Serrure? I'm coming up blank. Thanks so much!

DSCN6895_25878.JPG DSCN6899_25882.JPG DSCN6901_25884.JPG DSCN6897_25880.JPG DSCN6898_25881.JPG DSCN6903_25886.JPG DSCN6900_25883.JPG

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Looks as if the artist has made a copy of Rembrandt’s self portrait with beret and stand up collar.

Christmasjoy, judy, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  3. sassafras

We've got another one that's a copy of Raphael's "Madonna della Seggiola". Both of them look like they have some age to them, but we're not quite sure how much age.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

No, I do not want to date this gent.....I like the ladies ! ;):playful:

5. sassafras

6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought I would have liked to have dated Rembrandt then I realised what sassafras meant. I’ve had a look at Just Answers and it said that the artist is a 20th century British portraitist. Seems to be quite a few of his works around.

7. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

He isn't my type :eek:

8. sassafras

Here's a couple pics of the Raphael copy. It was reframed in the mid 80s. Both paintings have some fine craquelure that wouldn't show up in the pics.

DSCN4938_23921.JPG DSCN4939_23922.JPG DSCN6736_25719.JPG

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  9. sassafras

Thanks, Houseful! I couldn't find a thing on him.

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Every painting I have found with this sig is a copy... and skill level seems to vary. I admit to wondering if it is a sig used by more than one person.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  11. sassafras

Interesting, Jivvy.

There doesn't seem to be anything out there about G. Serrure. Everything just says 20th century UK artist. No other bio info listed anywhere, which given the number of paintings that were produced is glaringly ODD. I did find a mention by one online appraiser who said that they believed G. Serrure was active from 1950-1970, but they didn't say where that info came from.

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It could be one of those "signatures" that actually indicates factory art.

13. Jivvy

I do wonder.

The painting below is the one that made me start to question what we're looking at here. This copy is based on a John Singer Sargent painting (Millicent, Duchess of Sutherland), but it is so bad, not even google reverse images recognizes it.

I have trouble believing it was painted by the same hand that did the Raphael copy above.

That said, the outlines are so nearly identical to the originals that I would not be surprised if it's someone working with a projection of the original image.

temp.jpg

14. sassafras

I looked at several of the signatures that are available and there are very significant differences in those as well.

Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  15. Jivvy

You know, given as they're known copies, I'm not sure it matters. Other than a master copy by a well-known artist, I'd guess a copy's value is likely in its decorative merit, anyway. Not who painted it.

edit: horrific grammatical error corrected

Draft saved Draft deleted