War of 1812 sword?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by kotkinjs1, Jun 24, 2017.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks like a good sword......but I'm going to fall on the side of suspect copy.

The makers markings are unlike anything I've ever encountered ..

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

P. Knecht Solingen

Fid and KingofThings like this.
  3. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Back in the days I use to sell many cutlery. Man of these were German made and marked Solingen.

Solingen is a place on germany and known for its steel manufactory of sword blades, knives, cutlery razors etc etc. This makes me believe knecht is the name of the maker. The name Knecht sound German or Dutch. Knecht means servant in Dutch. If he was a sword maker than there should be records of this.

Here are some references which I copied and paste from an other site which had a discussion regarding a other sword with the same markings.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?29602-maker-ID

1. German Swords and Sword Makers by Bezdek has Peter Wilhelm Knecht working in Solingen 1770 - 1825, succeeded by his son, Peter Knecht 1825 - 1850.

2. The Sword and Bayonet makers of Imperial Germany by John Walter has P W Knecht 1806-1820 and P Knecht 1825-1850 (as Bezdek)

3. Armes Blanches by Buigne & Lhoste has P W Knecht working at the time of the Consulate and 1st Empire and but also P Knecht around 1810. This last reference is interesting because I have seen a Year IX French light cavalry officer's sabre marked "P Knecht in Solingen" (but it is possible that it could have been 2nd Empire, not 1st Empire).

Google knecht sword maker and you will get many hits.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    bobsyouruncle and KingofThings like this.
  4. kotkinjs1

kotkinjs1 New Member

bump
    Any other ideas? I tried to email several different appraisers in my area/region but haven't been successful with getting any reply.

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Peter Knecht was a well-known sword maker working in Solingen during early-mid 19th C. There are many examples of his swords on the web. You probably already found that out, I didn’t read all the foregoing.

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

20 months later....& no one will touch it??
    That's gotta say something......

We did everything we could the 1st time around......I can't add anything new....nor have I been thinking about this for the past 20 months.

Did u try Cowans.....they do military , well !

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If you call them and request an appointment for an appraisal, they will probably all do what you want, but will charge a fee. If you are requesting a freebie from a business person, I doubt many would give their time for free.

We’ve collectively suggested various auctioneers; have you tried any? Obviously you need to have some intent to have them sell it for you.

A couple of issues that work against the sword bringing lots of money are the blade damage, that it is a very common type of sword, and the apparent lack of provenance/documentation. If any exists I didn’t read about it here.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted