Wardrobe help!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Beki, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Beki

Beki New Member

4B05BFD1-CEB0-4BB6-9A97-C9CA0FA763E7.jpeg 7F09201D-FC64-4725-96EB-48C5095BFE26.jpeg D5BBE45D-0F9E-4B5C-894D-49A25B2ECE00.jpeg 3DC15941-2786-4CC1-9C1E-03BA902D59ED.jpeg C6B19760-20F8-4F58-9116-72DDA5193535.jpeg 999F8BB7-6404-465F-82FA-BF0BA66B9114.jpeg ED783646-3542-43A2-8686-2D995391D26C.jpeg 7F99F2CD-6F07-4845-A66F-72A607190937.jpeg 1C57BB52-7C28-4A47-BEE8-A5993F05B2A7.jpeg C0EB0496-FAC1-487C-8FAB-D795F4C39EA6.jpeg Hi! Usually, I’m pretty good at nailing down dates of my antique furniture, but this one kinda has me stumped. I bought it from my boss as it has been in his family for decades. It had the original skeleton keys but some jerk took them when they looked at the house that was for sale where this wardrobe was living. I’m thinking it’s early 1900s. The only piece of cool history I have on it is that it used to be in a funeral home. The right side of the dresser has original hooks to hang things up. Nothing has been restored and is all original.

komokwa likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think a bit earlier. Circa 1880. Can't tell if walnut or mahogany from these pics. The former would be more typical for this time period, assuming American.

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees with Brad, late 19th century

4. Beki

Beki New Member

What style period would this be from? Also, anyone have a lead on the manufacturer that stamps 495 on their stuff?

i need help likes this.
  5. James Conrad

Eastlake is the style period & yours does have eastlake like incised lines on the pediment above mirror. Not entirely sure this is american though, the hinges are French style. Naturally, they could be imported.
    The 495 is a manufacturer number, probably a part number to aid in assembly.

Figtree3, verybrad and i need help like this.
  6. James Conrad

What is the secondary wood species on the drawers, if you know?

i need help likes this.
  7. Beki

Beki New Member

It’s really light so I’m guessing pine.

i need help likes this.
  8. James Conrad

Well, if it was poplar then it almost certainly is American as poplar is native to north america but not europe. Pine grows everywhere though so i dunno.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Beki! :)

James Conrad likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this is a transitional piece. Elements of both the renaissance revival period and Eastlake. I assume this is a KD piece so the style of hinge would facilitate this. Door should just lift off the hinge. Was used on both American and European furniture.

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Eh? Poplar is most certainly a European and British native tree.

12. James Conrad

13. James Conrad

Additional information: Early North American explorers were impressed with the size of the tulip poplars discovered in the New World and used the long, straight logs to build cabins. Samples of the species were sent to Europe for cultivation and today tulip poplar is one of the most popular American trees grown in France and England.

http://www.uky.edu/hort/Tulip-Poplar

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You didn't say yellow poplar. There are many native European and British poplar species. The one you're referring to is in a totally different genus.

15. James Conrad

I think there are only 2 native species extant, north american & china and, since chinese furniture is pretty much out of the question, if your antique furniture has tulip/yellow poplar in it's construction, it is almost certainly American......

Shwikman likes this.
  16. James Conrad

Well, here in the States, when one says "poplar", they are referring to tulip/yellow poplar. A VERY important tree here in furniture building.
    Tulip Poplar - Liriodendron tulipifera
    Magnolia Family (Magnoliaceae)

Draft saved Draft deleted