Featured Wash stand

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Daeman, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Daeman

Daeman Member

I got offered this wash stand from one of my mother's friends when they were clearing out her mother's house.
    Apparently was in her grandmother's house prior to that.

So far I've stripped the bulk of the paint off it (why people insist on painting things like this I'll never understand!). The door insert was obviously broken at some point as it's been replaced by a piece of masonite, the upper shelf has been replaced by a piece of tea chest. One of the handles is broken and the original tiles from the top insert are long gone, replaced by a gaudy bit of slotted ply. The towel rail at either end is metal, unsure as to their originality, but I feel like they would probably have been wood Initially?

The timber itself is beautiful, albeit severely scratched up... Someone looks like they tried sanding it with a bloody brick! Originally it was a very dark shelac or lacquer finish(there was some remaining hidden behind the non broke drawer pull). The tiles in the upper insert were 1 1/2 x 6" running vertically, most likely green or blue in colour from what I've seen in other examples. It also would have had 2 3x6" feature tiles. (Thankfully they didn't throw away the original backer board and I was able to work out the tile configuration and sizing. The marble top is in good condition, save for one stone that may have come lose and fallen out at some point during it's life.

I plan to gently sand to get the bulk of the scratching out of it, possibly adding some stain as required to get a more consistent finish. For the door, I'll pull the ply from the bottom of the cupboard section and use it for the door given its original to the unit. I'll find a similar ply to replace the shelf and base where it won't be readily seen. The upper insert will be re-tiled as per the original layout, probably in a nice green, plus the feature tiles. The wood, once sorted will be done with tung oil.
    I'm not sure what to do about the broken drawer pull at this stage.

Unsure as to its age, but I'll assume between late 1800s and early 1900s given the nature of what it is, unsure as to the wood either.
    Located in australia

20210129_101518_copy_1209x1612.jpg 20210129_101506_copy_1209x1612.jpg 20210129_101446_copy_1209x1612.jpg 20210129_101612_copy_1209x1612.jpg 20210129_101538_copy_1209x906.jpg 20210129_101551_copy_1209x906.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very nice piece. I think you are spot on in age. I cant wait to see the finished product.

3. Daeman

Daeman Member

Thanks Johnny. It's a slow spare time project, I've got a whole house to restore (note the lack of skirting in the background haha). I'm hunting replacement tiles, but they're proving elusive, so if you or anyone else have any leads it'd be greatly appreciated (only ones I've found that match size and appearance are in america)

I'll definitely share the finished product with you all

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm pretty sure if you search 'Renovators Supply Houses'....no matter where you are, adding specifics for tiles and drawer pulls for your antique wash stand, you should come up with something....they should be able to be shipped anywhere!! Looks like you've got your work cut out for you! OTOH, it should look fantastic when you finish!!! Yes, please do show us the finished item!!!!:happy::happy:

moreotherstuff, judy and ritzyvintage like this.
  5. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Whereabouts in Australia are you? I'm in Sydney and may have an idea or two :)

moreotherstuff and judy like this.
  6. Daeman

Daeman Member

Appreciate the suggestion. So far due to the oddball size of the 1 1/2x6's I'm not having much luck domestically. The pulls and 3x6 feature tiles shouldn't be to bad to locate though.
    Definitely a bit of work in it, but it's nice to have something small scale to take my mind off the house occasionally haha.

moreotherstuff, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  7. Daeman

Daeman Member

Down near Albury, so melbourne and Sydney are both on the radar if you've got any suggestions :).

judy likes this.
  8. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Try Facebook Marketplace and antique, vintage or Victorian tiles. Marketplace is worth keeping an eye on. Maybe you've tried it already, but hope springs ... :) I'm rushing and will have a longer think later.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  9. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  10. Daeman

Daeman Member

Thanks, I'll get my partner to keep an eye on the marketplace... I'm secretly a grumpy old man, this is as close as I get to social media hahaha

11. Daeman

Daeman Member

If replacing the tiles is too problematic, perhaps having a glass mirror cut to size would be a suitable alternative?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Not a bad suggestion at all. I've often wondered why more of them didn't have mirrors originally. But in all likelihood, if I'm unable to find the right size to do the original pattern, I'll change sizes so it still has close to its original look.
    Thanks though, that's a lovely piece of furniture :)

ritzyvintage likes this.
  12. Empeejae

Empeejae New Member

Wondering how this project finished up. Any pics of completed washstand?

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they haven't been here in a year......:(

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Aww, too bad. This is the first time I came across the discussion. I'd love to see the progress, too! Will tag @Daeman

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted