Wax seal

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by flintlock, Jul 15, 2015.

1. flintlock

flintlock New Member

image.jpg image.jpg hello Everyone
    Im new to the forum and need some advice.
    I wonder if someone can help with any information on the seal pictured below.
    As can be seen it hangs on a 9ct gold watch chain. It measures about .75" across by just under 1" down.
    Any help would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    John

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting piece, John. It's so shiny on top I can't tell whether it's made of glass or metal.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

The image has the look of a "seal" of a place. It's not one of the US states, though it could be for a city. Where are you and did you just acquire this?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. flintlock

flintlock New Member

Hi Bakersgma
    Thanks for your reply. I think it's glass but definitely not metal.
    Cheers
    John

KingofThings likes this.
  5. flintlock

flintlock New Member

Hi Again
    I live in Wales in the UK. Ive had the chain and seal for about 20 years I bought it in a local auction in West Wales.
    John

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Ah! Well, forget the possible US cities then. ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Flintlock and others -- is it just me thinking that the seal has a religious connotation?

I'm "seeing" a haloed angel or a pregnant figure ("great with child") centered at the top, below that to the right a mother with a child (Virgin Mary?), have no idea what is to the left side, and then across the bottom what looks to me like a/the stable with two or three wise men standing to the right presenting a "box" of some sort to the tall fellow toward the left side and to the left of the tall figure may be the manger.

Do any others see what I am seeing?

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

I agree that the top part in particular does look "religious" to me, but I was seeing a mother with 3 children on the right (one a babe in arms, one clutching her leg and the third peeking out from behind and also holding something.)

On the left the standing figure impresses me as male and muscular, holding the handle of what may be a scythe hanging down to his feet? The kneeling figure at far left appears to be holding up a staff of some kind that *may* have a couple crosspieces near the top (one a bit like the kind of cross with an angled arm?)

I see the figures bottom center, but really had no idea what to make of them.

It might help if John can see (or capture in better focus) what the things are in the 4 sections of the middle shield.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. flintlock

flintlock New Member

Thanks everyone just posted some more photos. I think the woman on the left is holding a fouled anchor? Britania maybe?
    The chap kneeling beside her with a cross? Maybe something to do with the Navy?

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think it's glass, it looks like maybe topaz to me- and that would be more typical. Using a semi precious stone, I mean. Anyhow, it's a very nice reverse carved intaglio.

11. flintlock

flintlock New Member

I think the 3 figures may represent Faith Hope and Charity and the rays on the top of the seal, the sun. I think therefore it may be Masonic. Im not a mason myself but perhaps someone who knows more could comment?
    Thanks
    John

12. Bakersgma

I see the fouled anchor now and the person holding it seems to have a hand on the head of the kneeling one. Plus on the shield - top left crossed keys, top right a shief of wheat, bottom left a sheep, bottom right a bell?

13. Ownedbybear

Any chance of an enlarged photo?

14. Ownedbybear

Oh, don't worry, I've captured it. I don't think it's Masonic. Horribly familiar.

15. flintlock

flintlock New Member

Hi Ownedbybear
    When you say "horribly familiar" can you elaborate?
    Cheers
    John

16. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Wellllll, here what I think????? these old eyes see. The 2 tall standing figures are both women with long dresses. The woman on our left may have her hair in a bun and is wearing a long dress with puffy sleeves. I don't see an anchor. In front of her is a girl or could be a boy on one knee on top of the column/block holding something like a trident/staff/wand. There is a shield on the column. The right hand of the woman may be on the child's shoulder? while her left arm in down on her skirts.

The woman on our right is holding a child, another child clinging to her skirt and a 3rd child peeking around. That block also has a shield on it.

Down low in front in the middle are more people. There is a man/woman on the left facing 3 people who may be handing out or being given something like a bucket. A fire brigade!!! :hilarious: I wish I could make out the big quartered shield in the middle. As we all can see, the top may be the rays of the sun with a bust of someone being illuminated.

--- Susan

Seal-e.jpg

17. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

If you still need a enlarged photo, I *stole* it and did so . . .
    (it has now been deleted from my computer folder - I never keep them)

seal.jpg

tie.dye.cat and yourturntoloveit like this.
  18. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Good work Messi!!! We can now see that the kneeling figure on the far left is holding a staff with a cross on top. The standing woman on the left has her left hand on a sword and shield. Her hair does look like it is pulled back into a bun kind of like the Rule Britannia figure. The woman on the right has a headpiece/shawl on her head in the style of the Virgin Mary. This figure may represent motherhood, Mary, helping/caring for the children of the world.

Still not sure of the shield in the middle. The top left quarter may have crossed keys. Can't make out the left bottom or right top. Gee, if I didn't know this seal was of Great Britain origins, I would think the right bottom quarter had the Liberty Bell!

--- Susan

19. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

This one has a slightly better image of the shield . . .

seal - 2.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  20. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Ladybranch -- "The top left quarter may have crossed keys."

As in "keys to the Kingdom" possibly?

Draft saved Draft deleted