Wayang Golek puppet heads?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Studio Antiques, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Studio Antiques

Studio Antiques Well-Known Member

Someone suggested that these could be Wayang Golek puppets, but we’re not so sure... Any ideas on what these could be, origin, age, etc. would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Smallest measures approx 11 1/2” tall
    Largest is approx 15 1/2” tall

C1EE44D6-F020-4B98-8D4F-6D5342B10B8B.jpeg AA89BDAF-6DBC-4453-9CD7-368E910343AA.jpeg 16F78F3D-74B0-46BE-B132-AED47B38C15C.jpeg BFD66F62-E7BC-49C6-8BD2-C6A6CA2D59DC.jpeg 2CA15E18-2C03-4420-8B64-3012F786816B.jpeg

Ghopper1924 and kyratango like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes they are heads from decapitated Wayang Golek puppets from West Java. Indonesia.
    They all represent similar minor characters in the stories, female servants or dancers. No specific names, they would be used in any story where a servant or dancer was required.
    They all look original, not made as souvenirs but once part of complete theatre sets. Probably used by travelling dalangs or puppeteers in the early-mid 20th century.

They would look better if they were put on low wooden stands, cheap lathe-turned is fine. This is a bit of a 'head on a stake' display.;)

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

More of the Jason Wu ilk??

Studio Antiques and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. silverthwait

Eegad! Big Brother is Really everywhere! Just left here to go check my eMail. There's a missive which says, "Shop Macy's for Jason Wu,"

7. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

i don't understand there're people who collected the decapited head than a full body:hilarious:

from the style,yes i think it's from java,specially surakarta-yogyakarta region(south part of central java province) if i'm not mistake

8. Silver Wolf

i'm not sure about the value here of decapited head,beacuse here in indonesia usually some people collects wayang golek in full body,and i think the price for old or antique wayang golek is about 30-50$,and for special item maybe can a bit higher,and for the newer wayang golek it cost less than 20$ with some are less than 10$ each!

9. Any Jewelry

Neither do I. It looks scary.
    Wayang Golek is from West Java.
    Souvenir shops everywhere sell them now, but the W Golek is traditional Sundanese, although it extends east to about Cirebon.
    Same here in the Netherlands.

10. Silver Wolf

hmm from what i knew it was from central java then spread into the west to sunda/west java,the information is same from wiki AJ!
    at the first the wayang golek is used as a media to spread islam in java in 1583 by Sunan Kudus from Kudus,central java

https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayang_golek but it's in bahasa:hilarious:

11. silverthwait

Those critters would look scary if they looked like mother Teresa!

And, while I certainly do not know if this is true, could they be someone's way to provide garments that might indicate the nature of the character? (Or whatever?) One could clutch the thing by the stick and put clothes over the hand and arm holding it.

It's a thought...

12. Any Jewelry

Wayang Kulit is Central Javanese (and Madurese), they perform the original Wayang Purwa.
    :)
    Yes, Wayang Golek is West Java, Banten-Cirebon. Sunan Kudus is credited with inventing Wayang Golek, but there is no actual proof he did. It is quite in keeping with traditions on Java that he used it to popularise Islam. Wasn't he also the one who introduced the Javanese building style for mosques (masjid)?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  13. Any Jewelry

The puppet needs a body to put clothes on. They have a body and arms, just no legs.:(
    [​IMG]

14. Any Jewelry

15. komokwa

This is a bit of a 'head on a stake' display.;)
    looks like Vlad the Impaler got hold of these....:eek:

16. Any Jewelry

That was my first association.:(
    There is no proof he ever visited Java though, so I didn't want to say it.

17. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Remind me and I'll ask him the net time we meet for, um, tea.....yeah, that's it - tea

18. Any Jewelry

Is that what you call it?:playful:

19. Silver Wolf

yes he is,but i think,this kind of wayang golek was originally from china in ancient time and then it spread into south east asia with some new local improvement.ever heard about potehi puppet?i do believe they (china) have more old traditional form of this kind of puppet show (i think) :rolleyes:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glove_puppetry

then you need to learn more :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

20. komokwa

then you need to learn more :hilarious::hilarious:

No, I don't believe she does....:happy::happy::happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted