Featured Wedgwood Item - Looking For Information

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Quieroqueso, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Quieroqueso

Quieroqueso New Member

Hi all,

I have inherited a Wedgwood item and I am looking to find out more about it. It is some sort of biscuit barrel or similar I would say. It was gifted to a family member sometime in the 1950s or 1960s - I am not sure.

The stamp on the bottom reading 'ICI Dyestuffs Division' is something I can't find any reference to anywhere online. Does this mean anything to anyone?

It looks to be in perfect condition - I am just keen to learn more about it. If anyone could tell me anything about it I would be fascinated to know.

Many thanks.
    IMG_1921.jpg IMG_1921.jpg IMG_1922.jpg IMG_1923.jpg IMG_1921.jpg IMG_1922.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Quieroqueso

Quieroqueso New Member

Thank you. I was meaning more that I couldn't find a link between Wedgwood and ICI and why a chemical company would have their logo on a piece of ceramic? Thanks for your reply

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @Quieroqueso . I love your avatar photo.:)

And in reference to your name, I hope this is to your liking:

upload_2021-11-17_16-11-1.jpeg

johnnycb09, Bronwen and Debora like this.
  5. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was a special gift to employees for Christmas or another corporate celebration? Many companies put their logos on gift items. We've all received imprinted items at conventions and company open houses. This is a particularly nice gift, in my opinion!

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the reason. It would likely have been part of an incentive or gift program for either employees or customers. Companies use goods from well known/respected manufacturers for both. Unfortunately, that means its original cost wouldn't have been great as it would have been purchased in multiples. Logo on bottom looks later than 1950s/1960s but, according to the internet, the division changed its name in 1972 so your family recollection could well be accurate.

Fyi, here's the page from Wedgwood's web site about what they call "Business Gifting."

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 7.30.38 AM.png

Bronwen, NewEngland and Ce BCA like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

In the UK it was common for employees to get gifts for achievements, retirements etc. ICI was a very large chemical company and may well have made the pigments for Wedgwood giving an additional level of interaction.

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and NewEngland like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

NewEngland and Bronwen like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

11. Quieroqueso

Quieroqueso New Member

Thanks everybody, Debora especially for your lightning fast fact finding! Does anyone know how I might go about getting a valuation for it? It's more out of curiosity than a desire to sell.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I can't imagine value would be high. Typically WEDGWOOD biscuit barrels with elaborate fitted metal lids seem to sell on eBay (or not) for less than $100. And here's one in the same form as yours on offer at etsy.com for just over $50. The association with corporate entity doesn't add value. But there appears to be a bit more interest in the colors beyond the more typical blue.

Debora

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Bronwen likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There's a decent Jasperware sales group in Facebook, the Aussies love unusual bits.

This looks like the sort of thing given away at conferences and dinners.

Draft saved Draft deleted