wedgwood pearlware (creamware)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jeff Drum, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

The post I made last week of the porcelain transferware teapot led me to do a bunch of online research on English pottery: softpaste, hardpaste, creamware, etc. which is always dangerous. It's something that I had only vaguely heard about before but that post and research helped me get a better understanding. I've had some 19th century wedgwood basalt for a while - this seems rather common and not very desirable in today's market. But this week I found what I think is an early piece of pearlware. If what I'm reading is correct, this would appear to be limited to about 1780's to 1830, and maybe on the early end of that since it has so much bluing. Apparently the undecorated ones like this teacup and saucer are fairly rare. Is this something anyone has any experience with?
    P3040787.JPG P3040788.JPG P3040790.JPG P3040793.JPG P3040791.JPG

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Christmasjoy and Jeff Drum like this.
  3. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Yikes. OK, that's something else I've never heard of, "caneware". Pattern does look the same. And that listing thinks this was made pre-1840, so if that is accurate, maybe that is before and after they made the transition from using blue tinted glaze?

Is caneware another name for creamware?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I was hoping to locate a book I have on Wedgwood, even though not the best book ever, but I can't locate it.

So no caneware isn't the same as creamware. Creamware is basically an light/whitish colored clay with a clear lead glaze. The lead glaze is yellowish to greenish in nature and gives the creamware a warm creamy color that varies from almost white to very warm cream.

Pearlware was partially an attempt to make creamware look whiter. Because the lead glaze is yellowish in nature, a bit of cobalt was added to try to counteract the look of the lead. That's why you'll often see blue pooling in the crevasses of pearlware and yellow or yellow/green pooling in the crevasses of creamware.

Caneware is yellowish tan and I don't think it's always glazed.

There is a lot of information out there on Wedgwood and it's often quite documented so a little research may come up with more exact info on yours.

This is from the Wedgwood Museum, it is a piece of caneware with your pattern that they date 1810-1820. You may be able to learn more by noodling around their site.

http://www.wedgwoodmuseum.org.uk/co...on/object/caneware-plate-with-japonica-motifs

upload_2018-3-5_22-8-9.png

judy and Jeff Drum like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted