Wedgwood queens ware enquiry

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Michelle Davies, Aug 27, 2023.

1. Michelle Davies

Michelle Davies New Member

Hi,

I've seen this lovely Wedgwood queens ware plate for sale in a local shop and looking at the markings it says on the back "Wedgwood embossed queens ware Made in England Pattern no 2243". However when comparing this plate to similar looking plates that have sold on Ebay, most of the markings on the Ebay plates have also "Wedgwood of Etruria & Barlaston". Please can anyone advise whether the plate I've seen is the genuine article or a reproduction?
    wedgwood embossed queens ware plate.jpg wedgwood embossed queens ware marking.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    Figtree3, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  3. Michelle Davies

Thank you!

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

IMHO, no reason to think it's a reproduction, I don't believe it was reproduced or counterfeited. I've certainly seen your mark before. Use a google image search for your mark and you'll see lots of examples. Your mark precedes the one that includes "OF ETRURIA & BARLASTON".
    Despite the color appearing blue, it's actually called "cream on lavender". Your plate has a plain edge, it was also available in a fluted "shell edge".
    According to the Replacements website, plain cream on lavender queens ware was made from 1957-83.
    https://www.replacements.com/china-wedgwood-cream-color-on-lavender-plain/c/113333

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, I'd have have my Magpie eyes on those two Venetian vases.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. Michelle Davies

Those green and red vases are advertised as being murano glass. On sale for £25 each.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

too much for an average design.. imo

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. evelyb30

If there were a yellow one in the mix I might buy them anyway. :D:D

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you must like stop lights !!:hilarious:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. evelyb30

Too much exposure to gas and oil collectors!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those vases are Mandruzzato Murano. A slightly cheap price for them, I’d expect about ten quid more. Sommerso faceted.

And yes, this is pukkah Wedgwood, no issues.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Michelle Davies

Thanks for the advice.

How do you distinguish Mandruzzato Murano vases from other vases? What is their unique feature?

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’ve seen quite a few, which helps. Basically, they’re geometric faceted vases which use a technique called sommerso. Other makers use sommerso, but Mandruzzato vases outer layers are always clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted