Featured Wee Burnished Black Cup, Signed; a Starfish?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by wlwhittier, May 25, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I got this in Bishop, California, maybe 10 years ago. It was sold as 'Santa Clara', but I have little confidence in that.
    The bottom is hemispherical, the sides are roughly 1 1/4" long, the opening is ~1" diameter, it's ~1 1/2" high, an' its weight is ~1 1/2 oz.
    I cannot read the signature, an' hope one of you will be able to help me locate this with a place, an' the artist's name.
    If it isn't a starfish, what might it represent? There appear to be marks, a bit hidden in the design, indicating 4 feet...an' starfish don't have such, nor do they have a mouth or eyes where this does.
    The craft is high, with nary any indication of tool work; no visible seams, an' it's quite thin-walled. The sgraffito looks to be thru the burnished surface, as is the signature. The interior is quite smooth, but otherwise unfinished. As always, Thanks for lookin'!

P1410405.jpeg P1410411.jpeg P1410406.jpeg P1410410.jpeg P1410407.jpeg P1410414.jpeg P1410413.jpeg

stracci, komokwa, lovewrens and 2 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From the 1993 book The Miracle of Mata Ortiz: Juan Quezada and the Potters of Northern Chihuahua.

Debora

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 1.41.10 PM.jpeg

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very quirky. I like it !

stracci and wlwhittier like this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Thank you, Debora an' Books!
    I just realized the figure is probably a lizard, stylized.
    I am happy to know of Irma Juarez, an' will further research her an' her works!

stracci and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted