Featured Weirdest thrift finds

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Barn Owl, May 14, 2018.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Today, while searching through a bag of jewelry I picked up at a thrift store, I came across.... a human tooth. Or at least I think it's a tooth. I guess the thrift employees saw the silver crown and assumed it was a loose bead. I'm going to toss it before I get haunted.

What has been the weirdest (or grossest) thing you've found at a thrift store?

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Right now I can only think of gross things I found in some South American and Turkish hotels. I will spare everyone the details....

3. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

This isn't that weird but one time I found a $10 dollar bill in the pocket of pants that I paid $3 for.

4. Barn Owl

Haven't had that luck yet :(

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

A wooden bottle opener of a phallic disposition.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My strangest item was a locked streamer truck. It was very heavy. When I got it home and got the lock open to my surprise I found.............. a shower curtain the rings to hold it and lots of broken ceramic tiles. All bundled up together. Someone must have remodeled their bathroom and dumped the mess into the trunk. i still have the trunk another project that never got finished.:oops::oops::oops:
    greg

7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

The thrift stores in my area are really bottom of the barrel, I rarely find anything worth buying. One store that is now no longer in operation had a used toilet on their sales floor for about 6 months. It was complete with splatter marks. They didn't ever throw anything away and the only time something left the floor is if it sold. I wonder who purchased the toilet.

kyratango, cxgirl, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Found a $10 bill inside a biscuit jar. I think it was at an estate sale not at a thrift.
    Also found a $2 bill inside a planter, also at an estate sale.

9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I see these often at estate sales. I turn every color of red if someone sees me looking at it.:eek:

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Before you throw it, check it’s not a white gold crown, I had one I kept after an extraction and I scrapped it for about £15. I’m not sure they would make a crown in silver, I’ve never been offered that option.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right, I have only ever heard of gold crowns.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  12. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

A live snake in the pocket of a pink vinyl raincoat.

Also found a human tooth - but this one had a $100 chunk of gold attached.

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Maybe the oddest thing I bought at a thrift was a plaster cast of Ann Southern's face used as a make up model for the movies. Picked up gold teeth in a piece of NA pottery at a garage sale.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I bought a Barbie doll-sized chastity belt at an antique sale once. It was sterling.

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

.... forgot about the collection of cilices from an estate sale :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I got a plastic foot once, life sized and done up like a marble statue on a pedestal. Made a memorable Christmas present. Sadly, I did not photograph it.

17. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Now that is definitely weird xD who would want one of those :bored::hilarious: in sterling!!!

kyratango likes this.
  18. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

Marijuana vapor cigarette in the pocket of some shorts I bought for myself. Didn't find out till later.
    But, officer, items were half off with a green tag!

19. Barn Owl

Honestly, I'm not even sure if it's a crown. Seems like it's on the wrong side... The tooth is weird, too. thumbnail.jpg

20. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

At our transfer station we have a swap shop. I found a nice little box inlayed with mother of pearl. Inside were 4 little pouches, the top 3 were empty. I guess they workers looked at the first couple and just put it out. The 4th pouch had some scrap gold, I got about $60 for it. One of the pieces was a gold crown. Thankfully, it was minus the tooth!!!!!

Houseful and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted