Featured Welcome to the "Steele Box"

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by mforder, May 4, 2021.

1. mforder

mforder Well-Known Member

i need help,

You should be working for the folks in military intelligence. You are like the Navajo Code Talkers of WWII.... :) TY!

Potteryplease and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

"... due May 31 -- made in favor of M. R. Kember (?) -- this one is also in his favor - Mr Kember told me he had seen you regarding renewal and that it was acceptable to you [signed] Very truly / Morris Rutherfurd"
    Note: I couldn't read the first name but believe he is the M. Rutherfurd whose name was printed at the top of the letterhead. He was listed as "Asst. Gen'l. Freight Agent" for Lehigh and Hudson River Railway. I believe he is listed here twice:
    https://www.ourfamtree.org/records/railroads.php/lehigh-and-hudson-river-railway

Once listed in 1886 as Morris Rutherfurd and once as M. Rutherfurd in 1902.

Born2it, mforder and i need help like this.
  3. mforder

I do have a separate question. Should I keep posting images or have you had enough?

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Figtree3

You can keep doing it as long as you'd like to. If you're tired of it, you could give it a rest and come back to add to the thread later.

5. mforder

It's unreal what you all can read. It's as though some of this is in another language. TY Fiftree3!

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  6. mforder

I can add more, I just didn't want to bore folks. That's my biggest concern.

7. Figtree3

Okay, anybody who is bored can just stop looking. ;)

8. Figtree3

You're welcome... I have a lot of experience reading odd handwriting, as I've done a lot of genealogical research. I can't read everything. There was a time in the early to mid 19th century that the handwriting was often unreadable to me. Surprisingly some of the writing that was older than that was much easier.

i need help likes this.
  9. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I like seeing this stuff. And if you have any more that references the Lehigh area of Penns., I'm especially interested.

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I like seeing what you’ve got. :)
    Items like this, I imagine would need a professional to evaluate for value, but we can usually provide some history on things.

Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  11. mforder

Item #15:

Tattered fragile and in not such great shape is a passenger train schedule for the New York Lake Erie & Western Railroad - Erie Railway - May 16th, 1881.

Also includes an advertisement for the Chicago Rock Island Pacific Railroad Palace Dining Car.

Sorry if some of the images are a bit distorted, it's because I had to use the panoramic setting on the phone to essentially scan these in.

Train-Sched-1d.jpg Train-Sched-1a.jpg

Train-Sched-1b.jpg

Train-Sched-1c.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Born2it, Firemandk, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  12. Figtree3

What nice graphics!

13. mforder

Agreed. The artist back then were amazingly talented.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. mforder

Item #16:

As per the request of small axe here's a 1877 train schedule that has a lot of rail lines in it. You can see that just by the from cover. This booklet is about 15 to 20 pages long and it primarily has the rail schedules from the various line. small axe I pulled out parts that spoke about the Lehigh Railway. I hope you enjoy it.

Train-Sched-2a.jpg Train-Sched-2b.jpg Train-Sched-2c.jpg Train-Sched-2d.jpg Train-Sched-2e.jpg

Born2it, Firemandk, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  15. mforder

Please see the schedule below, I pulled up some of the references to your request for the Lehigh railroad line.

16. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

mforder -
    You truly found a treasure. I am grateful you are sharing it with us. I would be happy if you showed us every single thing in the Steele box, and in detail!

Born2it, Potteryplease and Figtree3 like this.
  17. mforder

Item #17:

Iron Steamboat. This is the steamboat company that was well used but the Mr. Steel and the folks from the town of Newton. They would take the railroad up to a certain point and head on over to Coney Island for the day. The boats would drop folks off at the well known Iron Pier. The pier was also known for a tower where they would somehow get to the top with a horse and the horse would plunge off of it with the rider on its back into the water. In today's world this would definitely be closed because it was really cruelty to the horse. I just may have my timeline a little mixed up about the horses jumping. Not sure.

Letter-31a.jpg Letter-31b.jpg Letter-31c.jpg

Born2it, Firemandk, Joe2007 and 3 others like this.
  18. mforder

Hi Bookahtoo,

That's very kind of you. I will do my best to post things that seem to be interesting. There are a number of bills and receipts that are not that interesting so I will try to stick with the good stuff. If you want to see some of the basic things I can place a few here as well.

Thanks,

--Mark

19. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Well I have a passion for ephemera, so I am happy to look at anything you post!

Born2it and mforder like this.
  20. mforder

Item #18:

Invitation to what I believe was a regiment in the Civil War but I cannot say with certainty that its NY or NJ since it appears that they may have all been from the same area where the two states meet. Need a Civil War buff to decipher some of this If there was some sort of roster that was out there them maybe we could tell by the names.

Invitation-1.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Born2it and Pattywithay like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted