Featured Welcome to the "Steele Box"

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by mforder, May 4, 2021.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Too bad that "Disease Extractor" was lost to time. It sounds pretty handy.

Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  2. mforder

mforder Well-Known Member

It sure does and you don't even need a needle... :)

3. mforder

Wow you have nice photos. Sarony was a big one when it comes to studios. The photos I just browsed on Google are also amazing. Thanks for sharing Figtree3.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. mforder

Item #36:

Indian Club Exercise / Peck & Snyder Catalogue - I don't know the date of this but as you can see it's in rough shape. You can still view the pages which show mechanical toys, exercise equipment, ice skates, baseballs and even handguns. My assumption is that this is an early catalogue since it does not show baseball gloves and bast which some of the later catalogues do. In this condition I am not even sure if this would be considered a collectible.

Peck-Snyder-1a.jpg Peck-Snyder-1b.jpg Peck-Snyder-1c.jpg

5. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

A dozen baseballs cost the same as a revolver. Interesting.

Born2it, Potteryplease and mforder like this.
  6. mforder

Makes you wonder what was more important at the time, protecting yourself or a game of baseball?

7. mforder

Item #37:

1880's Trade / Business Card for the Wm. M. Wright Importers and Dealer in Bicycles, New York. Sole agents for Columbia, Meyers and the American Roadster Tricycle.

If you know anything about this company please feel free to share it. I cannot find a relationship to the Wright Brothers family but that does not mean I am correct in assuming that there isn't one.

Thanks,

---Mark

Card-8.jpg

8. mforder

quirkygirl, i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  9. mforder

Item #39:

1880's C. G. Braxmar - Trade / Business Card and Billheads for Firemen's Badges and Medals (Police, Masonic, Military, sports, etc.). As you can see from the billhead the badges alone were quite expensive for the time.

Braxmar-1a.jpg

Braxmar-1b.jpg

Braxmar-1c.jpg

Braxmar-1d.jpg

10. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

He bought 33 Clap & Jones Engine badges? Is Clap & Jones the brand?

11. Bookahtoo

If I had found the Steele box it would be the best thing I'd ever found in my life! I am envious, yet so happy that you found it.
    You are treating each item with the curiosity and respect it deserves.
    I wish I were there, but this is the next best thing.
    Thank you again for sharing it with us!

12. mforder

Clapp & Jones is the company that makes the fire engine or really a steamer that was drawn by horses and had a coal fired boiler on it that was used to pump water through the hose. I am guessing since they used that they wanted the badges to match?

Here's a little Youtube video on the company and the steamers....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Born2it likes this.
  13. mforder

You're welcome Bookathoo and thank you for the kind words. I keep looking back at things and I am finding more and more that are worth posting. I hope to keep it up as long as I can. Hopefully other join the board and see how many different items there are and how they are all somehow connected or have something of interest.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Bookahtoo

If you look at your thread title you can see that even though you've had 132 replies to this thread, you've had 3,794 views. So even if some of us return multiple times to look and sometimes reply, the thread is being seen by a lot of other people.

15. mforder

Item #40:

1875 Newton Steamer Company No 1. - Dinner for the Morristown Independent Hose Company No. 1. Includes menu and list of members of the Newton Fire Company No. 1. and the Kittatinny Hose Company.

Fire-Newton Steamer Dinner-1a.jpg Fire-Newton Steamer Dinner-1b.jpg Fire-Newton Steamer Dinner-1c.jpg Fire-Newton Steamer Dinner-1d.jpg Fire-Newton Steamer Dinner-1e.jpg

Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  16. mforder

You're right Bookahtoo, I noticed that just this morning. I was surprised to see that number.

17. mforder

Item #41:

1880's C. G. Braxmar Badges and Medals Business Card (see Item #39 as well)

Braxmar-1e.jpg

Firemandk and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Gatorsharon

Gatorsharon Member

Thought the bonds were interesting. Have attached part of article I found online regarding the bonds:

Your New York Central Railroad Co. bonds, and Hudson River Railroad Co. bonds, can no longer be redeemed as debt instruments.

You can only sell these dead bonds to scripophiles, but even here you'll be lucky to get $5 per bond certificate from a dealer, said Caleb Esterline, director of securities research at R.M. Smythe & Co Inc. in New York.

Had your mother, and countless others, paid closer attention to the New York Central bonds they owned, then they could have received solid value for their bonds in 1968 -- and some payment for these bonds as recently as 1982.

Today, New York Central bonds have a face value only a scripophile can love, Esterline said.

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like this thread very much, @mforder . Keep posting!

Born2it and mforder like this.
  20. mforder

Will do Figtree3. I was out of town last week and I missed a beat.... :)

Figtree3 and Firemandk like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted