Featured Welcome to the "Steele Box"

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by mforder, May 4, 2021.

1. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

I keep coming back...fascinating stuff ! Being a retired Firefighter , I really like the Fire related stuff ! Thanks for posting all these great items !

Born2it, mforder and Potteryplease like this.
  2. mforder

mforder Well-Known Member

Item #42:

1884 Sussex Railroad Employee Time Table. Measures about 20 inches wide and 13 1/4 inches tall so it's fairly large.

These time tables were given to the employee and were not to be shared due to the rules and information on them. They were actually meant to be destroyed once they expired. I have found at least 8 employee time tables some of which are from another railroad as well. It appears that Mr. Charles Steele may have liked to break the rules when it came to throwing these out. I say good for him and good for us.

As for the Sussex Railroad it existed from 1853-1945. For more about this railroad use this link....

http://www.newtonnj.net/Pages/railroad.htm

So I found this link too. It's for a book called Remembering the Sussex Railroad. I met the author years and years ago and provided him with a few images of some of the Employee Time Tables. Much to my surprise, and just today, I can see he had used them in his book. Good for him!

https://www.google.com/books/editio...oKuZBQAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

RR-Sussex-EE-Timetable-1a.jpg RR-Sussex-EE-Timetable-1b.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  3. mforder

Hi Firemandk, You're welcome. I'm glad you are enjoying the papers. I do have mores to stay tuned.n They may not be as exciting as the last few things but there are a couple that may turn up that have something interesting on them.

---Mark

Firemandk and Bookahtoo like this.
  4. mforder

Item #43:

1884 - E. P. Noll Map Publisher Ad and Pocket Catalog

There are a few items that all appear to be related to this. 3 sheets of paper about 11 inches tall, 9 inches or less wide. The pocket Catalog has multiple pages and is bound together by a sting. I have reached out to a rare map site asking if this is something that they know anything about. Waiting to hear back.

Map-Noll-1a.jpg b.jpg Map-Noll-1c.jpg Map-Noll-1d.jpg Map-Noll-1e.jpg Map-Noll-1g.jpg Map-Noll-1h.jpg Map-Noll-1i.jpg Map-Noll-1j.jpg Map-Noll-1k.jpg

5. mforder

Item #43 (cont):

Back side of pocket catalog

As a side note take notice in the lithograph where the man is standing looking at the USA map. I don't recall the US ever looking like that.... :)

Map-Noll-1f.jpg

6. mforder

Item #43:

1888 - Pacific Bank San Francisco, CA - Report of Financial Status - July 1st, 1888 handbill

Interesting how the center is filled with political factoids. I have another from 1885 I believe and is cover a whole different subject matter including the size of the armies of Europe and so on.

Bank-Pacific-Stmt-1a.jpg Bank-Pacific-Stmt-1b.jpg Bank-Pacific-Stmt-1c.jpg

7. mforder

Item #44:

1889 United States International Money order. I looked quickly on the internet for something like this but came up dry. Maybe someone else here knows about these?

Bank-USA-Money Order-1b.jpg Bank-USA-Money Order-1a.jpg

Born2it likes this.
  8. mforder

Item #45:

1871 - "The Trial Trip of the Locomotive" - Wallkill From Newton to Franklin, Hamburg and Branchville.

In 1871 the Sussex Railroad expanded to this area and it appears that this was an invite to ride on the locomotive that would travel these tacks for the first time. It's kind of neat to know that this is a paper from that time and it must have been exciting news to those who had the privilege to experience this event.

Later in life the Sussex Railroad became a part of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad.

RR-Sussex-Trial-Trip.jpg

Born2it, quirkygirl and Firemandk like this.
  9. mforder

Item #45:

1870's New York City Theatre Tickets and Ticket Stubs.

The Niblo's Garden ticket stub from 1 January 3rd 1872 appears to have been for the revival show of "The Black Crook" which is considered the very first musical ever produced.I also believe I may have the playbill from this same date in one of the binders.

As for the Olympic Theatre there are two small ticket stubs and on the back of one of them you cane make out a faint date of February 2nd, 1874. This could have been a ticket for the Humpty Dumpty Pantomime. Humpty Dumpty at School (Panto), 2/9/1874, Grand Opera House, 10 weeks.

The Bryant's Opera House ticket from were most likely for a Burlesque and "Black Face" Minstrel show which included John Hodges known as "Cool White" and Dave Reed and others, I could be off on this though?

Theatre-Tickets-1c.jpg Theatre-Tickets-1a.jpg Theatre-Tickets-1b.jpg

Born2it, quirkygirl and Figtree3 like this.
  10. mforder

Item #45:

1873 - Booth's Theatre Program - Kit and the Arkansas Traveler.

Notice the names at the top of the playbill specifically the J. A. Booth (Joseph Adrian Booth) and the J. B. Booth (Junius Brutus Booth, Jr.). Junius the elder brother of a man called "John Wilkes Booth" and Joseph was his younger brother once thought to be a conspirator in the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln.

I did not look up the play nor did I look into the actor's but I did manage to that there was some kind of connection to a Joseph Haworth. I believe the connection is solely because the theatre that Haworth would perform at burnt down (Winter Garden Theatre) and that is wh Booth built this theater.

The Booth Theatre according to this site had some of the finest performances of Shakespeare plays for its time.

http://www.josephhaworth.com/booth's_threatre.htm

The third page of this program also mentions "Edwin Booth". Edwin was also a famous actor and reportedly saved the son of Abraham Lincoln (Robert Lincoln) from serious injury or death in Jersey City, NJ on a train platform.

Theatre-Booth-Playbill-1a.jpg Theatre-Booth-Playbill-1b.jpg Theatre-Booth-Playbill-1c.jpg Theatre-Booth-Playbill-1d.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I especially love the theatrical items!

Also, it was interesting how they arranged the advertisers around the edges of the first page.

Born2it and mforder like this.
  12. mforder

I intentionally posted that one for you Figtree3... :)

Born2it and Firemandk like this.
  13. mforder

Item #46:

Year? (1870's?) - The Histrionic - The Black Crook Playbill

I see one person on this I also have a CDV / Cabinet Card for Pauline Markham.

I also believe Figtree3 here on this message board uses Pauline's image as the image for their profile but I could be mistaken. I did very little research on this playbill so if there is anything you would like to say to point out then please do so.

Thanks,

---Mark

Theatre-BC-Histronic-1a.jpg Theatre-BC-Histronic-1b.jpg Theatre-BC-Histronic-1c.jpg Theatre-BC-Histronic-1d.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    quirkygirl, Figtree3 and Bookahtoo like this.
  14. mforder

Item #47:

1890's - Electrifying a town. In the case of Newton it appears that the town itself took many bids. There are more papers in addition to the one's posted here from various companies that wanted to sell their product.

Here you see...
    • The proposal for bid the electrify the town of Newton
    • Westinghouse, Church & Kerr Co. - New York, NY
    • The New England Engineering Co. - Waterbury, Conn (CT)
    • Fort Wayne Electric Co. - Fort Wayne, Ind. (IN)
    What I like about some of these is the vignette. I am also curious about the "Wood Arc Light System".

Overall, I can't imagine not having electricity at all and how it must of changed these peoples lives once they hit the switch to turn the plant on once it was built.
    Newton-Light-Proposal-1a.jpg Newton-Light-Westinghouse-1a.jpg Newton-Light-NE-Engineering-1a.jpg Newton-Light-NE-Engineering-1b.jpg Newton-Light-Ft-Wayne-1a.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Born2it, quirkygirl and smallaxe like this.
  15. Figtree3

My current avatar photo is of actress Mary Anderson (1859-1940). There are many photos of her in my collection, including one of her as Juliet that was the first theatrical photo I ever bought. (It was not the one that is my current avatar pic.)

Born2it likes this.
  16. mforder

Pretty impressive. When you look up Pauline Markam there are photo's of her with a headdress that is similar. The costumes overall are amazing.

Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  17. mforder

18. mforder

Item #49:

1893 - David E. Benedict - Dealer in Fire Protection Supplies - Newark, NJ

I really Like the envelope with the Babcock Fire Extinguisher lithograph on it.

Fire-Newton-Benedict-1a.jpg Fire-Newton-Benedict-1b.jpg

19. mforder

20. Figtree3

mforder likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted