Featured Well here it is! What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rink28, Apr 11, 2020.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Awhile back I posted this vase that I found at a thrift shop. It was covered in red spray paint so I got paint stripper and took it off and here is what it revealed! The bottom is a guangxu mark but I am wondering if it's still a original. Also what I didnt see before are other marks on the vase by the symbols. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this vase now that the majority of the paint is gone although I do have to go over some spots that need to be removed if it's worth it. Anyone know what the smaller marks say? Thank you for any info!! The first picture is what it looked like with the red spray paint on it.

red1.jpg 20200411_123344.jpg 20200411_123740.jpg 20200411_123810.jpg 20200411_123852.jpg 20200411_123913.jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks blooey! Do you think it's good?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i don't know if it's good...........but now it's very nice !!

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty nice, haven't seen too much like it in my travels!

6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thank guys! Yeah I couldnt find anything similar to it to compare it to.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I was thinking I LIKED the one fish I saw in the first image, but now I see there are more, and nicely done, I like it even MORE!!! BUT I don't know anything about it....just LOVE the fish!!!! BEAUTIFUL NOW!!!!

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  9. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Wow that's it!! Not sure why they are calling it art glass as I thought it was porcelain and not blown glas . I dont see a pontil or anything unless that seller on the worthpoint link is confused? I dont have worthpoint account to see what it sold for unfortunately.

10. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you rescued it! It's such a beautiful vase. Why on Earth would some bonehead paint over it? Some people......:mad:

11. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks stracci. No clue!!

stracci and Bronwen like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

Sorry I can't help with that I don't have a Worthpoint account either but someone probably does.

I did find a somewhat similar type that sold for $86 in 2019. They say 20th C. The mark is also a bit different.

https://www.companiesestatesales.com/Event/LotDetails/16841849/Chinese-Porcelain-Vase
    [​IMG]

13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The eBay listing shown on Worthpoint says they have the original box it came in, which would seem unlikely if the vase really had any great age. But what we'd really like to know is what the heck does all the writing say?

@Phaik Hooi ?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. say_it_slowly

15. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Bronwen, patd8643 and blooey like this.
  16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Being a Pisces I always like things with fish. Very nice vase.

17. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

18. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Nicely done.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the links/info and kind words!!

Bronwen likes this.
  20. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Nice restoration !!! Love the fish.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted