Well..I did it. Bought two Peter Keil paintings.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg It's done... I took the plunge and bought two Keil paintings. One is of a landscape with a lady figure in it. That one measures 16x12 and dated 72. The second one is my favorite. It's a portrait of Andy Warhol in NYC in 82, signed on the verso. The painting is 16x20. I'm stoked about getting these. I just need nice frames to display them.

2. Armando0831

One of Germany's best contemporary painters, Peter Robert Keil’s dynamic shapes and impressive choice of colors are particularly popular with two generations of collectors. Once known as ‘the Wild Man of Berlin” for his unruly locks of hair and energetic art and lifestyle, Keil was one of the now infamous Neo-Expressionist “Grossen Wilden” (Young Fauves) sharing the limelight with his friends and storied artists Elvira Bach, Rainer Fetting, and George BaseIitz. Later, the young Keil developed friendships with fellow artists Juan Miro, Andy Warhol, and while living and traveling in Spain he would occasionally exchange comments on art with Picasso and Salvador Dali. The highly collectable work of Peter Robert Keil can be found at art exhibitions, museums and galleries, private collections of the rich and famous, in offices and hotels, as well as some of the leading auction houses in Europe. There was a retrospective for him in Berlin in 2012.

3. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

mymysharona43 likes this.
  4. spirit-of-shiloh

5. spirit-of-shiloh

LOL, he is one weird painter ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

I am in the wrong business....maybe I can start painting like this guy.:p:p:p:p

6. Armando0831

wish that was me who one that. I'm going to pick up a painting each paycheck from Keil. I like his style. Heck, he's already had a retrospect in 2012 in Berlin and he's still living, that says something.

7. Armando0831

Ya, so am I. He has a Picasso style in his art, I LOVE that!!! I want more. Sometimes the weird people create some of the best works.

8. spirit-of-shiloh

Look at his Dean Martin,LOL.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Armando0831

I would love to have that!:cool::greedy:

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I assume this means you bought them directly from the artists? Why is he selling paintings from the 70s and 80s? Do get a signed bill of sale from him. It will enhance the provenance/value. There are many Keil paintings selling on ebay for pennies on the dollar. Of course, with most you will have no verification or provenance. I would think these would be pretty easy to fake.

Who knows if this is investment quality art or not. In some ways, he seems too prolific for these to gain much value. Reminds me a bit of Morris Katz in terms of the trajectory of his career. Stranger things have happened .....

11. spirit-of-shiloh

I just read that Katz was the King of schlock art.....:eek::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::chicken::chicken:

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,
    I think these paintings need just a simple black frame, so it does not take away from the painting. It is JMHO. Of course what I know about "modern" art would not fill a cavity in a molar.
    greg

13. Armando0831

That was my thought about the framing. Just something simple and black to let the colors and image pop out.

14. Armando0831

Sometimes my wording comes out wrong in my written, well, not sometimes but a lot.

No, I didn't buy these from Keil himself, I don't want to mislead anyone. I got these off EBay from two well established business, not a private owner/seller.

I believe they're decent purchases. If these were from private individuals, I might have a hard time buying one from them.

With all the museums, galleries, etc. that have Keils works, I'm happy to own a couple from him. Investment wise, time will tell. Just like any artist, prices usually go up after death. The thing is, finding a piece that has a subject that's different from the rest of his pieces and size, that's were it's a good idea, to me atleast, to buy.

I like the piece of Andy Warhol. I like the fact that Keil and Warhol were friends.

Hopefully I didn't strike out with these. I do plan on buying other works, other than Keil too.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

" Just like any artist, prices usually go up after death "

Armando, that's an urban myth !
    While it's true that after a well known successful artist passes away , some folks will rush to raise their prices hoping the event will cause collectors to grab up what works are available , sales at the higher prices usually stagnate as the market considers the long term value of any such artist.

A wise dealer will hold back his stock , as a shake out occurs , and wait to see if in fact the artists work rises in value and to what extent.

You say...." Investment wise, time will tell ", so you understand that a spike in prices ....in some quarters ....after an artist dies , is not a reliable indication of a long term growth in the value of their works, only a short term cash grab that may in fact cool the market or even end up driving prices down , as the market waits for collected works to come available for sale & whether or not those works bring higher prices ....over time.

16. Armando0831

You can call me Joe, it's shorter to type.

On my part, I'm not really interested in what and how much his pieces sale for. I believe that Keil has a lot of followers to keep his works in demand for quite some time.

As for me, I'll be passing these down to my family.

I'm just collecting because I like his works. If it turns out golden, great.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yes , I know.
    You post that a lot.

18. Armando0831

I know I do. I do appreciate the comments.

19. Armando0831

The key word in my phrase is "usually". I'm aware that collectors usually hike prices after the death and those prices usually last a very short time.

When I said "usually", I was referring to the usual hike in those prices, not the long haul. I am aware that the market is controlled by supply and demand. The more that individuals hold on to these works and the demand increases or decreases, effect the items worth.

I'm just hoping that the demand increases but very few works are available. Like I said before, Keil has a lot of followers, not just in Europe, but internationally. If those collectors grow in numbers and the remaining pieces left in circulation are consumed, then supply and demand come into effect.

Keil has the creditials to back him up. I don't think he has any problem with people wanting his art.

I hope I made sense with this.

20. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

A very quick look at the first 100 or so of the over 550 completed Keil auctions on Liveauctioneers shows that most of his works seem to sell for between $100 and $200. Cheap enough to buy them if you like them but likely never to be worth major coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted