Well..I did it. Bought two Peter Keil paintings.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

I've always been told, "Never say never." One can only hope that said works will be worth some dough later on. That's what investing is all about.

As I see it, I wouldn't suggest in just buying Keils works alone. I would say, try to buy the ones that are unique to his style, different.

I'll take my chances on Keil.

2. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

It is good to buy what you love....and to be happy every time you look at them !!! (and yes...if they appreciate in value.....so much the better!;)) Enjoy them...

3. Armando0831

Thank you. I will enjoy this pieces. I'll have them in my living room, somewhere.

4. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

What if your kids have no use for antiques? mine don't. Not sure how old they are, but I use to think I will leave a lot of stuff for my kids but I don't know, just a light bulb went off. I have seen too many people who were overwhelmed at someones death and the last thing they needed was to get rid of zillions of things they have no use for...I say that because most of my aunts, 7 of them were pretty much heavy duty collectors and they left hoards for their families to give away, and give away they did.....One aunt had zillions of figurines, goebels etc zillions, not cheapo stuff, my other aunt said they went for nothing, she bought a few. Of course much of the stuff they collected is hard to turn at all now. They were into glassware mostly, hull etc roseville hard sells now a days...

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Kids enjoy going through and splitting up their folks bank accounts, not a house full of antiques.

But that's just been my experience ......

kentworld and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  6. mymysharona43

I don't know, my family was a hot mess but there were some who splendered in it. They were pretty much money grubbers though
    I just watched my sister and brother in law go thru 2 deaths and one particular was a nightmare

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  7. mymysharona43

I think they were near 2 years going thru it with I think 4 or 5 grown kids.....mess

8. Armando0831

Well, they can do whatever they want with this stuff. Both my daughters are very much into arts and I'll have no problem with passing my paintings down to them.

The other items left, I'm sure they will hold onto. They may get rid of the smaller "what nots" but I'm confident that the larger items will remain.

Hopefully the sentimental value keeps them from selling. If they do plan on selling, who am I to stop them? I'll be six feet deep, but hopefully in the hearts to keep them from doing so.

If they don't care an ounce about the dedication and energy I put for these, well I would rather have a homeless person have them.

I don't sit well with ungrateful ness. I would rather give a collection to a homeless person or donate it to a gallery or museum before I have my kids act like unruly heathens.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Just keep and enjoy them... what is done with them after your passing won't matter to you. -- I remember a comment you made in an earlier thread that your wife doesn't like Keil's art. Is she going to be able to live with these?

10. komokwa

If they're not on the wall in the kitchen , I don't think she'll have a problem.
    Besides....she seems to put up with Armando's collecting as it is , so I think she's in love with him.....enough to allow his passion for a multitude of different art styles arriving in her home......and that's all good !!!!

In my humble opinion......

11. mymysharona43

That's great that they appreciate or like art. May not be like mine. I am just saying, My family bought nice antiques that one would have thought would appreciate in value, but in several cases the family did not care and sold and gave the stuff away. Doesn't make them heathens though
    Just when you get older (which I am guess your quite younger than I) Reality sinks in, and when you see friends and family die and it can be a burden, not intended

If you love it enjoy it, that's what I do but only buy if I am pretty darn certain I can recoupe and increase my purchases when buying to flip....
    Iv seen so many things I loved bottom out in value. When I was a younger gal I was obsessed with anything cobalt blue, not you can hardy give most of it away

12. Armando0831

Been married for 16 years and still going strong. It's not that she doesn't like Keils art completely. She just wouldn't go for any of the nude paintings, as well as I wouldn't buy them either. She has been very understandable in my collecting. I don't only collect art but also baseball cards, coins, etc. she leaves the collecting up to me.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Armando0831

Last night she was looking at more works but Keil, pointing out which ones she likes.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. komokwa

dali_l.jpg
    .My wife is OK with my Dali print hanging in the living room....but it's so much more than just a nude.

15. Armando0831

My wife could handle that print. She picked out 2 Dali prints from the Goodwill one day and I was shocked that she did.

16. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

It's just stuff, people. I like what I collect. I have way more stuff than I can properly display, so I'm just cruising (ie, browsing) now. After wading through my MIL's stuff and my parent's stuff, it's quite the task physically and emotionally, to sort, sell, give away and throw away. I will try to divest myself of some stuff before I croak (if I have the opportunity) so that my kids won't have to do so much, but I will certainly give them the pricier stuff to keep or sell. Sentimentality doesn't sell well, nor does it carry over into the next generation so well sometimes...

komokwa likes this.
  17. komokwa

& there's the point.
    What we do we do for ourselves , our taste our vision our enjoyment.
    If you want to do things for your kids .....who may not share your passions....buy gold, stocks, & get a big life insurance policy......that will be easy for them to split up and deal with !
    Even personal jewelry can fought over or discarded , when multiple siblings are involved.

18. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Which is not to say you shouldn't buy art that you like!

But what I what I would have done for my children, had I had the money, is to have invested in a education fund.

19. komokwa

I did that for my daughter.....
    & both sets of grandparents donated yearly....until the divorce.....where only my folks kept up payments......
    at the end there was money ....but it was parceled out over 3 years and she had to go to this or that school and she had to do this and that and couldn't do this or that..........so it was basicly a way to enrich the fund managers pockets over time !!

Setting up a high yield savings account ,when she was born.......................... would have been smarter...

20. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

If you want to do things for your kids .....who may not share your passions....buy gold, stocks, & get a big life insurance policy......

Or solid financial instruments like T-Bills. Unglamorous but real.

Art is generally a lousy investment for collectors without very deep pockets...where you're hoping to create a store of value by amassing tried and true blue chips.

I will defend unto death the right of Armando or anyone else to buy whatever art pleases them. Just as I will defend unto death the right of boys to take girls on dinner dates to a TGI Fridays!

Neither may be wise, reflective of good taste or result in consumation but, we are, after all, only human!

Draft saved Draft deleted