Well, well, well…

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by libbyloodle, Jan 15, 2015.

1. libbyloodle

libbyloodle Well-Known Member

So THIS is where everyone is now

Even though I wasn’t very active on the “other” forum, I definitely recognize most of the members here. Many of you have helped me in the past, and I look forward to picking your collectively huge brains once again. I have much respect and admiration for each of you, not only for your remarkable levels of knowledge, but also for your kindness and your willingness to share what you know.

I registered here a couple of weeks ago and I’ve been reading and finding my way around. This site has a great feel to it ~ professional information combined with humor and some personal stories ~ in a friendly and inviting atmosphere! Even from just the little that I’ve read so far, many members are more than just names to me now. I’d like to become more involved than I ever was in the past. Hence, this post ~ my formal introduction. I must admit though, I do not share the same level of knowledge as all you smarty-pants people. I do however; share the passion!!

I grew up in a Centreville, DE, a small town between Winterthur Museum and Longwood Gardens. We moved to Centreville when I was 11, from a neighborhood full of kids my age. Centreville though, couldn’t have been more boring for a kid in the 70’s. There were a handful of businesses scattered around…a bank, one restaurant, the local veterinarian, a couple of tiny expensive specialty shops, and a couple of antique stores. I babysat for everyone in town, and I frequented the antique stores often. One day, in one of the antique shops, I spotted a ring that I couldn’t live without. It was an emerald cut yellow topaz set in a yellow gold band. On each side of the center stone, there was a twisty gold leaf-like design along with a tiny diamond. I was probably 12 or 13 at the time and I really wanted that ring. I couldn’t afford it, but the shop owner took a liking to me and let me make payments. Every time I babysat, I would walk my earnings up to her shop and get a little closer to owning that beautiful ring. She made a big fuss over me to anyone who happened to be in the store at the time, telling the story of how I was buying this ring with my own money. I still remember exactly what that lady looked like. And, I still have that ring ~ 40’some years later

Just so you know ~

libby me 600.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Das one creepy picture......
    Candid shots are so much fun !!!

Welcome aboard !

libbyloodle likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Welcome.

I started going to antique stores with my mother in about 5th grade. Started with a tea cup collection, then beaded purses and perfume bottles.

I started babysitting when I was 10. I would use that money to buy those special things.

When I was 14, I babysat all summer for a woman who had gone back to work. A big deal in the 60s for a woman to go to work full time. Anyway that was the summer I earned enough money to buy my own school clothes. I had always hated what my mother thought I should wear to school.

libbyloodle and cxgirl like this.
  4. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Welcome! It's a pleasure to have you here. :)

libbyloodle likes this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Hi libbyloodle! Welcome!

libbyloodle likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie,
    Welcome, I am so glad that you found us and feel comfortable being here. I grew up in a small town with only a barber shop and gas station. No antique stores but everybody had "old things" that came down in the family.
    I got started when 7 years old by working for things since no one had money. Later on I had so much stuff since none of my family wanted old things anymore. When someone passed all the old stuff got sent to me. between ebay and yard sales most of the stuff got sold.Now that I am old no one wants the stuff I collected. Ying and Yang.
    greg

libbyloodle likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, Debbie / libbyloodle -- It's good to see you here!

Oh, and I like both of the photos you posted.

libbyloodle and jackolin like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome Debbie! So glad you found us!

9. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Greetings Debbie! Your Libby is adorable!

libbyloodle likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Greg....that's yin & yang ...i wear one on my chain.
    but who's counting....:rolleyes:

gregsglass likes this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Welcome Debbie and Libby! I enjoyed reading the story about the ring!

12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Do we get to see the ring?? :)

libbyloodle and trip98 like this.
  13. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie and your Libbyloodle.

libbyloodle likes this.
  14. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

Hi to you ! Great story as well !

libbyloodle likes this.
  15. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Welcome!

libbyloodle likes this.
  16. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Welcome....you will love it here !!!

libbyloodle likes this.
  17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Welcome Debbie! Wonderful story of the ring, would love to see a photo of it.

libbyloodle likes this.
  18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie,glad you found us. :)

libbyloodle likes this.
  19. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Hey Debbie! Great introduction! Glad to have you aboard!

libbyloodle likes this.
  20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Welcome! It is rather nice here isn't it?:)

libbyloodle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted