West-Germany 438 confused

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Donna HA, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Donna HA

Donna HA Pleasestayhome

The more I research who made this the more confused I am lol
    I don't think it's Bay as no word there "Bay", possibly Scheurich but no extra digits for a size after the 438. It has the curly Y..
    The smudge or marks below are relevant?
    Not having any luck to be certain.
    10.25" x 8" x 2.5" weighs 1 lb 5.6 oz.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    7.jpg 4 - Copy.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Cute plate - why do you think it's not Bay? The y is curly as you say, and the reference site shows an example without the 'Bay' on the base - see the last image. Yours is the same, just adjusted for the form I would think. The form number is within the range too so seems probably right?

Donna HA and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Donna HA

Donna HA Pleasestayhome

Well, there's no secondary number for cm nor wording Bay.
    Just some interesting links you don't have to view but learning is fun :)
    Thank you but wasn't sure with pother names as well.
    I love this dish for sure.

Stylová miska, WEST GERMANY 438 - Sarepta

this is 435 no curled y just seeing,
    West Germany Bowl, Vintage - Etsy Canada

438 curly y no cm numeral
    Alte Schale 438 - West Germany - vintage 50er - 60er-Jahre | Kaufen auf Ricardo

Here are some key points about West German pottery marks:

1. Base Marks: The base of West German pottery pieces typically featured a mark such as “W. Germany,” followed by a shape number or height in centimeters. For example, you might see something like “W. Germany 271” or “W. Germany - 22 cm” as the identifying mark1.

2. Manufacturer Stickers: In addition to the base marks, the name of the manufacturer was often carried on an adhesive sticker prominently attached to the body of the piece. Unfortunately, these stickers are often lost over time1.

3. Variety of Forms and Colors: West German Art Pottery is renowned for its diverse forms and expressive colors. Over 100 pottery and porcelain companies, along with studio potters, actively produced art pottery during its heyday from the 1950s to the 1970s. Scheurich, Carstens, Bay, ES, and Dümler & Breiden were some of the most prolific producers. Even though production slowed in the early 1970s, a wide variety of art pottery continued to be produced well into the 1980s1

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

A second number is for height.

Donna HA likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted