Featured Westmoreland Ruby Red Paneled Grapes round butter dish lid?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Dec 10, 2022.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I picked up this lid at a shop this past spring & I recognized the pattern immediately. I bought it because red glass is usually very popular & it was only $2.00. :smuggrin:

I have not been able to find a round red butter dish in this pattern anywhere.

So the challenge is for someone here to prove me wrong & show me one or maybe someone can tell me someone other than Westmoreland made this piece. :p:p

It is 3 7/8" to the top of the handle & is 5 1/8" across the bottom.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy::kiss:

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Could LG Wright have made it?

3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

understand Westmoreland and Wright also made this is ruby. I have a Westmoreland ruby cake stand c1982 in ruby that looks like similar ruby color (very dark red) and it has the Westmoreland mark. I'm seeing listings for the butter dish mentioning that the butter lid is marked on the inside (possibly at finial). The mark may be very hard to see; try rubbing fingers around inside of lid to find a mark.

this image is on a light table

[​IMG]

judy, kyratango, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

That is astonishing. What a thing to put on your table to display your baking skills.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Could it be a cheese dome rather than for butter. The grape motif fits better with wine & cheese.

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. bercrystal

Thank you so much for pointing out that the lid was marked!! :jawdrop::jawdrop: :D:D:D:kiss:

It is clear as a bell once you tilt it in the right direction that is towards the light. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just think it is quite strange that I can't find any examples of this color except for stemware, punch bowls & such. :confused::confused::confused:

There is no mention of this dish being available in the Replacements section of the ruby color. :p

https://www.replacements.com/crystal-westmoreland-paneled-grape-ruby/c/111572

Thank you for reminding me that I had actually come upon Replacement's listing this as a cheese dish some time back but had totally forgotten it until I saw your post. :oops::oops: :bag: :kiss::kiss:

There are tons of milk glass versions out there so maybe someone will like to have a ruby-colored lid to use with their milk glass bottom for their Christmas dinner or party. :p:p:D:D

7. TallCakes

you're welcome. there are a few of the ruby one's from old auctions on WP. Thought that I could spot the mark on your last image, but sometimes I imagine what I want to see...

bercrystal, KikoBlueEyes and *crs* like this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Westmoreland Glass The popular Years 1940-2958 by Lorraine Kovar shows it as a cheese dish with lid (note the butter dish next to it). They say it came in Ruby 1977-79 :)

PanelGrapeCheese.jpg

komokwa, kyratango, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  9. bercrystal

If there are any ruby cheese dishes on Worthpoint would you post the links? I am trying to decide if I should list this as an auction or a BIN piece. I am afraid to list it as an auction & getting buried amongst the millions of listings but I don't have a clue as to a BIN price.

@Marie Forjan - Thanks for the info!!! :happy::happy::kiss::kiss:

At least I have a time frame for the ruby color. :happy::happy:

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  10. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

There wasn't any sold on eBay within the last year Peggy :(

11. TallCakes

12. bercrystal

@TallCakes - Thank you so very much!!! :happy::happy::happy::kiss::kiss:

@Kronos - Would you be so kind as to provide me with some information regarding prices & dates? :happy::happy::kiss:

Maybe I can get another piece out of my house before Christmas.

I am mostly just interested in the ruby pieces but if you are feeling froggy & want to do the others that is up to you. ;):happy::kiss:

13. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Low $20's to around $50 price range for the Westmorland ruby wp links.

14. bercrystal

Thank you so very much!!! :happy::happy::kiss:

cxgirl likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

go closer to 50.......... Christmas shopping, eh !!!;):happy::happy:

bercrystal likes this.
  16. bercrystal

@TallCakes or @Cherryhill - If I could trouble you for some information regarding this piece I would appreciate it very much. :happy::happy:

I finally sold it last week & I received the following message from the buyer.

HI, I received the cover today and there is a massive amount of decolorization all along the bottom lip where it all orangish instead of red. I feel this is a must to be mentioned in the auction like this, your pictures do not show the orange, even in the close ups. Please let me know what you wish me to do.

I never really noticed any "orangeish" areas in the piece & like she said my photos do not show "the orange" so I am not sure what exactly I was supposed to disclose. :rolleyes::facepalm::facepalm:

The photos above are the ones I used for the listing & I still do not understand what she is talking about & she did not include any photos to help me out. :banghead::banghead:

Here is a link to the listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3860145524...75&osub=-1~1&crd=20230913194434&segname=11050

I started to reply to her but decided it would be better if I could get some backup from somebody who knows more about how this type of glass is made. ;):rolleyes:

From what I understand it would not be unusual to see an orangish cast to some red glass due to the chemical makeup of the ingredients or am I misunderstanding the process?

I know my options are to send it back for a refund (but I will have to pay for return shipping which was high because she lives in California) or offer her a partial refund (which would be my choice) but I really don't think I should do either because she possibly doesn't understand how glass is made.

BTW I know I am being contrary but this afternoon I spent about an hour+ at Verizon trying to buy a new cell phone & I am still pretty grumpy about the whole situation. I was under the impression the guy understood which phone I wanted because I thought I had been pretty clear. We got to the point of him putting the screen shield on the phone when I remarked that it was much smaller than it looked on the wall. I upended it & asked, "Where's the pen?" That is when I realized he had totally not understood what phone I wanted & the past hour+ had been a total waste of my time. :arghh::arghh::arghh::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

cxgirl likes this.
  17. komokwa

because she possibly doesn't understand how glass is made.

& that's the hill you want to die on..?

a massive amount of decolorization...........????????
    This bitch isn't kidding around !!!

offer her 1/2 off the sale price....... block her.....and get back to finding the phone that you need !!!!

;)..............:happy:

bercrystal likes this.
  18. TallCakes

this is one best addressed by Tom ( @Cherryhill ) as he best understands glass making process; unfortunately, Tom hasn't been around since January. Ruby glass is often made using gold in the recipe and the ruby color is the result of reheating the glass after forming to create the ruby color. This process can create variations in the level of ruby ranging from deep ruby (almost black) to orangish red. The lighter colors are often more visible when viewing thru bright light; you can see this on some of the listing for Westmoreland glass with well-lit images. It's not discolored or damaged, but is rather normal and to be expected. Even with my cake stand above, which was photographed on a florescent light table, some folk might argue that there are noticeable shades of orange; but when viewed in normal room lighting it is looks very dark ruby.

unfortunately, as with two-piece objects like butter dishes the color variation may be more evident when a lighter lid sits upon a darker plate.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    *crs*, cxgirl, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  19. bercrystal

I have no intention of dying on this hill but when I present her with her options I want to phrase it in a way that she understands that this is not a defect but it is how this glass is made & that is why it was not mentioned in my listing. I may have to accept her return if that is what she ultimately decides but I may argue that she will have to pay to return it because I did describe it accurately in my listing. The problem is that she doesn't like how it looks which is an inherent risk of buying online especially if you are buying something you are totally not familiar with in the first place. :p:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thank you so much for clarifying the process for me. :happy::happy::kiss:

I too have noticed that Tom has not been here for quite some time. I know he has always shown up just occasionally but I am hoping that he is doing okay. :(

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  20. komokwa

Well then hit her with Tom's description.....and see if she bites....

but massive amount ........tells me she's looking to get it for nothing !!

Draft saved Draft deleted