What’s the deal with this copper cookware?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Doug Shlonsky, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Doug Shlonsky

Doug Shlonsky New Member

C14B5FE5-A87F-478B-8A2F-93D1CD87B0E5.jpeg 53E8B408-2142-48F6-84C2-30B215AD99A8.jpeg BF69B85E-F0F9-4FA7-8CB2-C04B5404615E.jpeg 3B21B910-B9DB-48E5-B1E7-2BBB670AEE49.jpeg I’m wondering if anyone knows the story behind this copper cookware. I couldn’t leave this behind for five bucks, and after trying to research it there’s not much reliable info out there so hopefully someone can help clear it up!

An eBay search of “hand forged copper pot” turns up a bunch of similar pieces, with most claiming them to be early antiques. This seems highly doubtful due to the prevalence and similarity between them- my guess is they’re kind of middle eastern tourist item made to look rustic/ primitive...

Anyone know the real age of these and whether or not they’re worthwhile cooking instruments or just wall hangers?

Thanks in advance!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

To be used for cooking, the interior surface will need to be re-tinned, but there may be other issues (like holes?) that will jack up the cost beyond reason.

3. Doug Shlonsky

Doug Shlonsky New Member

Thanks for the reply! I have no interest in actually using it, just wondering if when these were made they were intended to be used in the kitchen or just for decoration

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes, when made this one was for actual use in cooking. It wouldn't get to look like this just hanging on the wall.

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like 3rd world street vendor material made for the poorer population,could have been made 30 years ago or 75 years ago.

antidiem, judy and Christmasjoy like this.