Featured What’s Your White Whale?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dave Whaling Books, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Laulii, Daughter of Samoa, by Laulii Willis (the original 1889 edition, not the reissue.)

I had a copy, and gave it to my Samoan daughter-in-law as a wedding gift. (It was written by her great-great-grandmother.)

It's still in the family, and where it belongs, but I keep hoping to find another copy someday for myself. And that way (someday), there would be a copy for both grandsons!

McAdder, judy, Pat P and 4 others like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Grays Sports Almanac
    Complete Sports Statistics
    2020 -2050

:D

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Dave Whaling.

Mine is a 'Statenbijbel' with etchings by Rembrandt.
    It is a special bible and I want it for two reasons:

First is of course the biblical etchings by Rembrandt, beautiful. I believe it also has some illustrations of his paintings. Rembrandt consulted a Rabbi for some of his work.

Second, the Statenbijbel is a real theologians bible.
    It was translated into Dutch from the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koinè Greek nearly 400 years ago, and is still considered to be the best translation in the Dutch language. The translators had a sound knowledge of the languages and a theological knowledge of the original meaning of the texts in those languages. It was a huge project at the time, several theological committees were instituted by the state, the Dutch republic, to oversee the translation.

Most Dutch now wouldn't understand 17th century Dutch. But if you do, the language of this bible is truly beautiful.
    I have a Rembrandt bible, one of many versions published in Dutch, but it is not the old Staten translation.

[​IMG]

This is for when I find it, "The Prodigal Son" raising a glass:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A betting man, are we?

Debora

6. With your Dad's connection, I hope you find this one. What a great bit of history and connection that would be to have!

7. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

@komokwa I Love Moxy Fruvous!!! I actually saw them a couple of times at festivals and have one of their tapes. They are so much fun to listen to! I wish they had stayed together a little longer...

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

"Love it! Obscurity in collecting is what makes it so intriguing, interesting, and expands our horizons. I live just north of Milwaukee, I’m purchasing the re-issue from the University of Chicago press. Will bring with me next time I am in Chicago. Chance to learn and appreciate something new, many thanks!"

Very cool, Dave! Glad to provide some inspiration. Here's one of their buildings in Milwaukee: Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 9.13.55 AM.png

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Well I don't know what I'm thinking, but Kelmscott never published Morte d'Arthur - so clearly engraved on my mind. A rare book indeed! Guess I'll have to settle for the Chaucer.

A Kelmscott edition of Morte d'Arthur was planned, but never realized.

10. Any Jewelry

That's a real white whale.;)

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

That Statenbijbil with etchings by Rembrandt is indeed amazing. I'll file my copy next to my Tyndale bible. :)

I can't believe I breezed past this: "Author-signed first editions of the Narnia Chronicles or the Screwtape Letters.
    The same for Asimov's I Robot or Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles or Zelzney's Amber Chronicles"

I'd love all of those as well, but especially Zelazney's Amber Chronicles. I read those as a teenager and was absolutely mesmerized. What a talent he was!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    McAdder, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. McAdder

McAdder Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry I love and collect old illustrated bibles too. I don't understand Dutch so I don't know Dutch bibles well, but I have two, a 1656 version with over 1200 woodcuts by van Sichem, and a 18 th century one with small copper engravings.

I cant recall a Staatenbijbel with etchings by Rembrandt do you know when and by which printer it was made?

I do own a small German book called Rembrandts Bibel with reproductions of his paintings from the early 20th century.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  13. Any Jewelry

Wonderful!
    I think it was published as a special limited edition in the 1970s, I can't say for sure if it had ever been printed before, or even who printed it then. I remember seeing one in a bookshop in our town, I went there several times just to look at it.
    When I studied theology in the 80s it was mentioned when the subject of Statenbijbels came up, and their may have been a copy in the faculty library. But that is the last I ever heard of its existence.
    There are several "Rembrandt Bible" editions, but that was the only Statenbijbel. I wish I knew more about it.

Christmasjoy, McAdder and Ghopper1924 like this.
  14. McAdder

McAdder Well-Known Member

A complete illustrated copy of a huge folio Staatenbijbel around 1730 is quite common and is sold on ebay quite regularly around 3-500 Euros, the 1656 is worth 6-800. Many limited editions or facsimiles cost much more, and never have the feeling and history of an old book.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

About ten years ago I saw a set of early Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps for the city near which I reside at auction. I was a college student at the time and could not make the financial commitment to place a serious bid. This was the one and only time I saw them offered for sale.

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Book of Kells.
    for local use: Zürcher Wappenrolle.

17. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I really want Spacewrecks: Ghostships and Derelicts of Space by Stewart Cowley...can get it on eBay but I am far too tight to pay for it. Not terribly expensive ( £50 or so) but even if I were rich, I couldn't pay that. Not my usual cup of tea but I had it as a child and loved the drawings. I hope it's still in my attic somewhere.
    I also want The Hell-Fire Club by Daniel Mannix. Used to have that too.

I have spent a lot of my time as an adult trying to find books used to have,and what they were even called... found Miss Bones by Joan Fleming eventually. This took me literally years to find,the longest part was trying to remember bits of it so I could find it at all. I just knew there was a severed head in it,discarded into a cabbage shop thing and a Mr. Walpurgis. So glad to find it at last.

I read a book as a child about some siblings,one was a character called Pinks and the children survived a flood. That's all I can remember so not keen on my chances of finding it actually.
    Scoolgirl Jen at the Abbey! Easy to find on eBay too but again, far too tight to pay that, I wanna pay car boot prices...much more my comfort level.

18. Any Jewelry

I worry about you sometimes.:hilarious:

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Dunno. Sounds like a good read!

Draft saved Draft deleted