Featured What are the odds that this is a Brady ambrotype?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by LaneAcadia, Jul 2, 2018.

1. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

If this photo is what I think it is, then my husband wins the prize for flea market finds. ;)

A few years ago for Valentine’s Day, he gave me this lovely little 1/6-plate ambrotype. I already thought it was a gorgeous ambro, in nearly pristine condition. (Apologies for the poor quality of my photos; for someone who’s so interested in other people’s pictures, I have a shocking lack of good photography equipment of my own.)

It’s in a geometric leather case that shows moderate wear, but the latch still works perfectly. Other than a few specks of lint under the glass, the image itself is basically flawless. The hand-tinting on the boy’s cheeks, his hands, and the table cover behind him is subtle and masterful. I was still marveling over what a beautiful ambro it was for the price and location when my then-8yo daughter said, “Hey, look, there’s a name on the case.” And there was—a faint, moderately worn “MB Brady” in tiny letters.

Now I know Brady started out as a casemaker, and I know that even photos from his studio weren’t necessarily taken by the man himself. It’s also not in a Brady flip case or matted in a Brady patent mat that would likely make it more desirable to collectors. On the other hand, neither is the 1860 “Cooper Union” portrait of Abraham Lincoln. Although the leather case and mat binding were very slightly different for my ambro, the mat itself is identical to the one on the “Cooper Union” portrait of Abraham Lincoln. (I believe the same mat was even used for Brady’s portrait of Frederick Douglass, but I’m less positive about that.)

So what do you experts think? Is it an authentic Brady portrait? I lean toward yes, based on context clues, and I think the quality is such that it’s worth far more than my husband paid for it regardless. But I don’t want to be a victim of my own wishful thinking. D8A1B40D-FFAB-4497-A409-F7C79C5EB4E1.jpeg C9C417D5-F040-4CF5-A413-800099BA1A75.jpeg 16E6C91E-E90B-4953-AB89-961A68B109C9.jpeg 3B637919-44D2-4C15-B027-15D23BB4A574.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Images were moved from case to case back then and throughout the last 150 or so years. I take it you've removed the image and looked closely at the matting/frame front and back to see if there are any markings there.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To ME, it definitely looks like a high quality image like Brady's work!! And in enlarging your image of the case, it sure looks like it says M B BRADY! As @Kronos said, you may never know if the two were merged! Also, as he said/asked, have you taken the image carefully out of the case yet for more clues?? However, can you take a sharper image of the front of that case again?? OR can you tell me if it says the SAME thing in the "ribbon" on the other side where I see writing as well?? Thanks!! Tagging @Figtree3 too!!

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Wouldn’t Brady have done this in his studio? Anyway point is that if you can find other Brady portraits that are positively ID’d, and find one or more showing the same chair, that would be interesting.

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thainks for the tag, @Aquitaine ! I'm far from a Brady expert. I'm also traveling this week and so far have had very little time to check in.

@LaneAcadia , do you belong to the Daguerreian Society group on Facebook? Lots of noted collectors and experts there. If you do belong to FB, join that group and pose your query there. There are also a few people here who collect antique photos, as you've seen.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  7. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

@Kronos - Yes, I did look behind the image and inside the case. No ID or other clues, unfortunately. All I found was the stamp of the mat manufacturer.

@Aquitaine - I'll attach better photos of the case. The top ribbon definitely says "MB Brady". The other one says "Case Maker, NY".

@springfld.arsenal - That's a GREAT idea. I've looked around a little bit for a similar chair, but as most of the Brady portraits I find are from his Washington DC studio, I keep coming up empty. But you're right, it certainly looks like a studio portrait, and it seems like those background details should eventually show up if it's a real Brady photo.

@Figtree3 - I'm not a member, but I'll definitely join and inquire there. Thanks for the lead!

I appreciate all the help, folks! View attachment 130389 image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Weren't most of these photographers 'traveling' photographers to reach more clients as well?? Might find different furniture at different locations???

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Christmasjoy and LaneAcadia like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted