What are these 2 spoons used for?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ola402, Oct 31, 2015.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have 2 silverplate spoons with twist handles. The one on the left is marked W R Keystone and measures 5 1/8" long. The one on the right is marked U S Silver Co. and measures 5 3/8". I think the elongated oval one (R) is maybe an egg spoon?? Is the one on the left also an egg spoon?

I place these tiny silver pieces in my antique mall space at low prices and my customers love this kind of thing. But I like to state what the item is used for, since that's half the fun! TY!

DSCF4067.jpg DSCF4069.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm thinking sugar spoons.....

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Possibly, although they are different from any sugar spoon I've seen before. The bowls are just an inch across. I looked over on flatware fashions but couldn't find a pattern. That's why I thought they were some type of specialty spoon, made as a one off set.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Cocktail stirrers ?

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Let's make something up!
    Maraschino Cherry Spoons!

6. komokwa

I just googled sugar spoon and found both bowl types used and called sugar spoon.
    & i did that just to refresh what I already knew.

I have a pair of birks silver sugar spoons that I alternate and use everyday for my coffee ...both having the elongated bowl.

so.....I'm standing behind...sugar spoons.

gregsglass likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

More like soda fountain uses. Ice cream and ice cream soda. Or perhaps lunch counter and the round one for soup.

8. komokwa

I'd say they are too short for that type of use...

9. komokwa

at an inch across Bakers......you'd be sipping soup until late in the evening....:hilarious:

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

So maybe not soup. But a dainty dish of ice cream would work. Seriously, whenever I see this plainish pattern and twisted handle (especially with a low-grade mark such as U.S. Silver), I know I'm looking at soda fountain/lunch counter wares.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Sugar spoon definitely works for me, and so does dainty ice cream spoon. They're too short for a soda spoon, and too small for soup (LOL @ sipping until late in the evening). And I'm still hanging onto egg spoon (as in soft boiled) due to the shape.

12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I went a-googling and the round bowl spoon seems to be consistently sold as a sherbet spoon and many sellers have sets, wish I did. The oval spoon is being sold as an egg spoon, a condiment spoon, olive spoon, and baby spoon (although I don't agree with that last one). Should have looked at google first, but I never think of it til later.

13. komokwa

OKOK...I guess they could be jam or condiment spoons also....

14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That's odd, I thought I had replied - maybe I forgot to hit post.

Anyway, check out mustard spoons. I think both shapes were used as such.

15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

As Bakersgma suggests, soda fountain spoons - can post period reference a bit later...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Bakersgma likes this.
  16. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

The round top spoon is traditionally for mayonnaise; the lower for Advocaat. However, given that these are American, the shapes may have been borrowed (and perhaps come by the gross) to use for sherbet or ice cream.

However the 'typical' ice cream spoon used in hotels, sometimes soda fountains, etc, while it may have the twisted handle, the bowl shape is similar but not quite so long as this one appears. That may be just a trick of the camera.

To check, if one can ever Find them, ice cream soda spoons have the same shape, and sometimes the twisted handle -- they are just taller...like iced tea spoons. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Messilane likes this.
  17. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Forgot this: look up the recipe for Advocaat, and you'll see why the spoon is not only rounded, but egg-shaped. :)

18. komokwa

Please do.....I just don't see how they are long enough at under 5 1/2 inches ???

19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Could one of them be an olive spoon?

20. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted