Featured What are these 2 vintage toys? Theu look like Humpty Dumpty & his son w/a hangover + a butt crack?!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 25, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

What the heck are these?? They are creepy & funny at the same time!

They look like a 1960's or 1970's hippie's version of Humpty Dumpty! I looked up LILYPUTS & LILYPOTS Humpty Dumpty figures but nothing came up.

Can someone tell me what these are, please?

Thank you!

TOY HUMPTY DUMPTY FIGURES 1AA.JPG TOY HUMPTY DUMPTY FIGURES 2AA.JPG TOY HUMPTY DUMPTY FIGURES 2DAAA.JPG TOY HUMPTY DUMPTY FIGURES 3AAA.JPG TOY HUMPTY DUMPTY FIGURES 3DAA.JPG TOY HUMPTY DUMPTY FIGURES 3EAA.JPG TOY HUMPTY DUMPTY FIGURES 4AA.JPG

judy, lovewrens, cxgirl and 11 others like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Good lord! Those are disturbing like a Murun Buchstansangur fever dream.

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Never saw that before. Looks like Humpty Dumpty got it on with a shriveled raisin.

judy, Born2it, Potteryplease and 2 others like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think they're about the coolest things you've ever shown. Are they celluloid? I think they could be antique. The one looks like it has a hook to hang as an ornament? How big?

Kind of potato-like.

judy, Aquitaine, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Halloween ornament?

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

The one on the right is dead.

Do you think he knows?

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Journey, you never disappoint! What an interesting pair.

What is the material? Are they pottery? I would have grabbed those, too.

judy, pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  8. journeymagazine

They feel like kind of like plastic but thicker? (Not the right word I'm looking for) and kinda waxy? (May not be the right word either sheeesh)

judy likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That backstamp looks like a frog.

judy likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I like them. They look like the sort of thing that might have been found at a crafts show in the heyday of such events. If artisan was active entirely pre-Internet, you may never know.

judy likes this.
  11. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Think about them as political caricatures. Those faces are real people! Whenever they were made, they represented folks the public was familiar with...and not in a particularly unkindly way.

There's more to this story than meets the eye...an' they ain't toys.

12. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

From about the 1870's through about the 1970's I found references to Liliput *everything*...Liliput collapsible pocket stereoscopes, Liliput opera glasses, Liliput (small) chocolate eggs for Easter, Liliput zinnias, Liliput parties for children, even Liliput children, etc. The earliest Liliput mentions referenced Gulliver's Travels which was the obvious inspiration for the use of Liliput to mean 'little.' The only thing I didn't find was anything Liliput that had anything like your figures. Since they are both intended to sit, I can only guess they were meant to sit on a shelf, in the garden, in a pot of flowers, etc. Interesting find!

judy, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

George Bush and Dan Quayle???? The figures are butt heads, and it would fit.

journeymagazine likes this.
  14. wlwhittier

If these weren't such turbulent times, I'd say 'speak well of the (politically) dead'...particularly that Q person.

But...perhaps one shouldn't count their chickens prematurely in these post Trump, pre-2024 times.

Sigh...

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  15. evelyb30

George is out of that game permanently, as far as I can tell. Haven't heard a peep/cheep out of Quayle in 20 years. Maybe he's hiding out at Rayo's?

16. journeymagazine

Or in his potatoe garden...

17. evelyb30

Or he's the editor in chief of the Quayle Quarterly. It was real; I read it, and it was dedicated to Quayleisms. (none too politely)

18. wlwhittier

Enough! about th' Jerk, already!

19. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

My daughter's theory is that they were used in a doctors office, and are living lumps of fat. The doctor showed them to prospective liposuction patients to scare them into getting the procedure. She says that's her story and she's sticking to it.

20. evelyb30

Maybe they're lipoma models! (I've watched Dr Pimple Popper one time too many.):eek::eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted