Featured What are these earrings supposed to resemble? Ancient Egyptian, African...?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by evelyb30, Apr 24, 2019.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

These are brass, most likely, and they turned up in a Goodwill jar. They look like something I've seen meant to look like an Egyptian tomb find, or Etruscan, maybe Von Schliemann Troy hoard but....? No markings to be had and they are definitely not gold, and they have to be some sort of reproduction; the metal isn't brittle enough to be old.

DSCF1432.JPG DSCF1433.JPG

scoutshouse, judy and kyratango like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The Met usually has something similar in its gift shop inventory. Trying to think what culture inspired. You're on the right track with Etruscan. It's something that way.

3. Bronwen

scoutshouse, judy and i need help like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think ornate enough for Etruscan. Earlier Egyptian to me.

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

6. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Look like Fulani hoops to me.

Shwikman, 2manybooks, Jivvy and 9 others like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think they are supposed to resemble STAR FRUIT :cat:

8. Bronwen

scoutshouse, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-4-24_22-4-22.jpeg

ya...but star fruit is yummy ....

scoutshouse, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  10. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Seed pods maybe? I guess star fruit is technically a seed pod, it looks like these have 3 sections and not 4.

scoutshouse, KSW and i need help like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That took me straight back to a holiday in Tobago many years ago where the hotel gave us a picnic lunch that included not a lot apart from two star fruit. No knife or anything. We mused over how we were meant to eat it ( or even if it was edible or just decoration :hilarious:)and to this day am not sure what the etiquette is!

12. evelyb30

Looks like Fulani wins ... but I like the Star Fruit idea.(LOL) I'd imagine one eats a whole one the same way you'd eat an apple. Bite into it and chew.

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

We considered that but they were so tough the outside was like tyre rubber.

14. Bronwen

I didn't know either, so of course Googled. Everything says to cut it into cross sections, so guess you needed to ask for a knife. Presenting it to you without one sounds like a joke they play on tourists. Or maybe just poor service. The National Kidney Foundation warns it could kill you if you have kidney disease.

scoutshouse and kyratango like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You have solved a long standing conundrum!
    We only discovered we needed a knife once we had settled down on the beach miles from anywhere. Agree probably a tourist joke although we did consider a game of football with it as we couldn't break into it:hilarious:

scoutshouse, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Most of these that end up outside West Africa are gold plated. The real ones are big and gold and the earwires are wound with red thread:
    upload_2019-4-25_21-51-23.jpeg

quirkygirl, 2manybooks, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  17. evelyb30

These are probably tourist souvenirs, or something made for export to areas with folks who are into African fashions.

Draft saved Draft deleted