Featured What Book Series Did You Grow Up Reading?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Joe2007, Dec 27, 2018.

1. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I didn't do much reading, but my favorite book was "My friend Flicka".

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Enid Blyton, Famous Five and Mallory Towers, Magic Faraway Tree.
    Billy Bunter (yaroo!), William Books by Richmal Crompton. So many of these now so politically incorrect, fat shamed Bunter, lisping Violet Elizabeth, deaf saucepan man etc.....oh dear

BoudiccaJones, Fid, antidiem and 6 others like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

My mom frowned on comic books, too, though I do remember reading some, especially the Archie type. Not sure I ever really liked the superhero comics.

I know I read a lot more books than this, but the ones popping up in my consciousness at the moment from elementary school are Nancy Drew, The Bobsey Twins, the Little Golden Books, The Little Prince, Charlotte's Web, Babar the Elephant, and Alice in Wonderland. Also, for some reason when I was around 10 I became fascinated with fairy tales and remember going to the library by myself and picking ones out to take home.

In junior high, I remember reading poetry (loved Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass), science fiction, detective novels, Poe's works, and lots of short stories.

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I remember one more. Nurse Nancy. My mother wanted me to be a nurse.
    I liked the book as it had those free bandaids in the book, but I had no desire to be a nurse. G'd bless those that do that.

antidiem, SBSVC, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  5. Cris Drugan ISA-AM

Cris Drugan ISA-AM Active Member

I didn't grow up reading these, but I like them now...
    Tony Hillerman Navajo Tribal Police mystery novels
    and
    Jonathan Gash Lovejoy Mysteries

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I learned to read at the age of 4yrs. attending Primary School in England shortly after the war .. I picked up on it swiftly and always have enjoyed reading. As money was short at that time we settled on comics from the junk (thrift) shop, bought for threepence for six old comics. I devoured the stories with great relish .. Beano, Schoolgirl, Dennis the menace (ours had black hair), An ugly cowboy named Dan ( I can't remember his full name, maybe some of you other Brits can supply it) ... also my older brother got hold of a little soft cover book called 'The Secret Seven' and he proceeded to call us lot 'The Secret Five, our duties were to spy on our neighbors, my mum and dad, and anybody else we could think of .... whereas my brother would write it all down in his notebook. His book was filled with the comings and goings of our neighbors and friends, fights and disagreements all included. Then my mother found the book and all hell broke loose .. we were sent to our rooms with sore arses and tears. My mother did tell us how invasive we had been and that our actions had been despicable and cruel etc. It didn't stop my love of books but it did teach me a good life lesson, Happy New Year All ... Joy.

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I love your story Joy.......

8. Christmasjoy

Thank You Judy :) .. by the way, I believe that cowboys name was Dan Dare. Another comic was Buster .. I also received a couple of books for Christmas, an Enid Blyton, Rupert, Noddy books .. not all at once of course, I now will read just about anything .. History being my favourite, Joy.

judy, antidiem and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

My mother read to us nightly when I was little. The first series I remember reading myself was the OZ books. Then Encyclopedia Brown. Later it was the Little House on the Prairie books - I've read that series at least 15 times. I tend to do that... In my early teens I started reading Jane Austin, Thackery, and the Brontes. I loved Tolstoy and Thomas Mann. I've read all of Mary Renault's "Greek" books at least twice, some many times.

judy, Christmasjoy, antidiem and 3 others like this.
  10. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

The Dan was probably Desperate Dan from either the Beano or the Dandy comic, he used to eat cow pies where the horns stuck out of the pastry crust.

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

OH THAT IS TOO COOL!!! :cat:

As a child, we were always encouraged to write to the authors, but I never did!

What I did do: I "tricked" my son into reading by handing him this book- "Henry and the Paper Route" -and he was hooked too! My son became a "book collector" for a period of time, collecting first editions of Stephen King and what not.

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  12. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"My favorite book during 3rd and 4th grade was Thunderbolt House by Howard Pease. I must have read it at least 20 times."

I liked it too! And Howard Pease was from my hometown. (Or am I from his?)

Debora

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Tony Hillerman Navajo Tribal Police mystery novels
    I was given one....caught the bug...& then binge read most of them.....
    Leaphorn & Chee !!!

15. Christmasjoy

Houseful ... That's HIM .. Desperate Dan and his cow pies !!! Thank You, :) I could picture his face clearly but could only remember his first name.

16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I read a lot as a child, my mother used to joke that she couldn't ground me to the house when I (occasionally) needed discipline because I actually preferred to stay in and read, LOL.
    I read, and re-read, Enid Blyton's Five Find-Outers and Dog series, as well as the Jill pony books by Ruby Ferguson. These were all sent to me in the US, book by book, from my grandparents in England.
    I also read all of Nancy Drew as well as the Misty of Chincoteague series. I enjoyed many more books but they weren't necessarily a "series".

17. caroln

caroln Active Member

I'm sitting here trying to remember what I read as a kid and although I read constantly, all I remember is Nancy Drew. As I got into my teen years I can remember reading (and re-reading about 20 times) Gone With The Wind.

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I read Shipkiller , by justin Scott....4 times.....then sent the book to a friend for him to enjoy !!

19. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The Jivvys feel your pain! The previous house we purchased, we purchased mainly because of all the room for books (people who don't have books, have no idea how much room they take up!). We made the decision to get rid of thousands of books before purchasing our current house -- we still have books in boxes in every nook and cranny.

As to the original question, I was also a big fan of Louisa May Alcott (did not get rid of one her books when moving -- even though I have multiple copies of some), but the "kid detective" series I read was Trixie Belden.

We went to the library every week and considered "not going to the library" to be a punishment befitting only the worst of crimes.

Ghopper1924, antidiem, judy and 3 others like this.
  20. ConnieSue

ConnieSue New Member

Little House Series and the Bobbsy Twins. My all time favorite that I read in 5th grade: Gone With The Wind!

judy, SBSVC, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted