Featured What Book Series Did You Grow Up Reading?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Joe2007, Dec 27, 2018.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's a rabbit foot - sounds more like a grouse foot...

~Cheryl

2. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

hmmm...just always assumed rabbit. I'll find and post a photo of it. I'm not sure what a grouse foot looks like. It does have enough fur, however, which is white.

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I remember this! A few years ago and they are still together anyway! :D Must be the power of LOVE! :cat:

SBSVC likes this.
  4. antidiem

:hilarious::hilarious:

5. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Good call, Cheryl! It IS a grouse foot...here it is exactly (minus the shell) (not mine). I had no idea it was anything other than a poor rabbit's foot stretched to accommodate a small ring. It's always pained me to think about it so I just blocked it out over the years. Lopping off a bird's foot to make a pin isn't much better but at least I'm hoping it was a good meal otherwise for someone. Still not going to wear it.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/571846...h_query=grouse+foot+brooch&ref=sr_gallery-1-6

6. antidiem

BWAHWAHAHAAHAA!! :hilarious::hilarious: I LAUGHED 'TIL I CRIED!! :hilarious::hilarious:
    THANKS @DragonflyWink @Zinnie for the truth! I'd have blocked that memory too!!

Zinnie likes this.
  7. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

LOL - glad to oblige - I guess!? Happy New Year, antidiem! :D:p:D

antidiem likes this.
  8. antidiem

@Zinnie , thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR to Everyone Antiquers! :cat:

Christmasjoy and Zinnie like this.
  9. antidiem

Ok, now I'm sniveling, cracking up about the MEMORY of having seen that horrifying appearance of that "rabbit's foot" again! :D :D :D

Zinnie likes this.
  10. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

You should try googling 'vintage Scottish rabbit foot pin' and see the HUNDREDS of different "feet" pins out there!! Some call them 'rabbit' even though obviously (to our much now awakened eyes here) they are for the birds! Supposedly, the story goes, they are considered 'good luck' charms going back into Celtic history. Gotta hand it to the Highlanders, they somehow conjured up to attach a bird foot stump to the skirts to keep the whatever away?? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: And why a young girl would send this to another even younger girl is just all part of its mystery as well! :eek::D

SBSVC likes this.
  11. antidiem

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: AHAHAAAHAAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!! You have such a way with words, @Zinnie!

Zinnie likes this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When i was a lot younger I was digging in a large cellar hole where a house burned down years before. I found an old metal box with hundreds of chicken "wish bones" inside. There were 70 some bones in it. I always wondered why people saved certain things. I could see coins and stuff but old chicken bones????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

14. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Oh geez that must have been disappointing to open!! And yes, the Great Why of human behavior. :D Perhaps they didn't want to share the wishes or have anyone else win them? Or maybe they were going to make good luck brooches out of them...:smuggrin::p:smuggrin: I'm just teasing, folks, esp those from Scotland!! I have ancestors buried there, remember, but know they are down in Galloway where the pirates used to hang out, so take care. ;);)

judy, clutteredcloset49 and antidiem like this.
  15. antidiem

16. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I LOVE Just William,I am a HUGE Crompton fan. My daughter went to World Book day as Violet Elizabeth...I told her to scweam and scweam until she was sick .

Malory Towers...The Famous Five, The Secret Seven. All magical to me.

None of them though touch my fave kids book of all time which is Tom's Midnight Garden and I am NOT rational about it . At all. Even the very mention of it makes me well up. :eek:

antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. BoudiccaJones

Loved the Jill books too xxx

Christmasjoy and bluumz like this.
  18. BoudiccaJones

Do you mean Desperate Dan ( with his cow pies?! ) x xx

Whoops already ID'ed, sorry everyone ! x x x

NOT MY IMAGE
    [​IMG]

antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I was a horse crazy child (never outgrew it:)) so I read Walter Farley books and any other horse book I could get from the library.

My younger brother was struggling a bit with reading and I knew it wasn't lack of ability. Mad magazines by the boatload was all it took to get him started and he became a voracious reader.;)

20. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Yes, that's him Bou !!! .. I could never figure out whether that was a huge unshaved chin, or a beard ... I think big chin .. Thanks for the picture, brought back memories, Joy. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted