Featured What can you tell me about this chair - style? period? where was it made?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by OldWhitby, Jun 13, 2022.

1. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

I recently found this chair. It is quite light but sturdy (despite the lack of front or back stretchers). The carving of the splat lacks crispness. The seat is hand caned. The holes for the caning are drilled at an angle directly into the rails which I find quite unusual (at least I've not seen it before.)

Image175.jpg Image174.jpg Image178.jpg Image176.jpg Image177.jpg Image179.jpg Image180.jpg Image181.jpg Image182.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this is a relatively modern import. Based on a British colonial design.

Lucille.b, sabre123 and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

My initial reaction was that it was relatively recent but the hand done caning made me think it was likely older. Apart from hobbyists and restorers, does anyone still do hand caning? - I've done a bit of it - it's hard work. Even for companies in the far east, there are plenty of ways to make the seat of a chair that are much more cost effective.

4. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Check YouTube's John Furniture Repair, who is actually a girl, in Canada.

komokwa likes this.
  5. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

I found it. VeryBrad was right - it is recent. It is on the Wayfair.ca site and is described as "Barbados Solid Wood Queen Anne Back Arm Chair". It is out of stock but they were asking Cdn$729.99. It is made by Manor Born Furnishings but I couldn't find out where they are.

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a 7 bills chair?
    where did u find it ?

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's crazy.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 5.23.24 PM.png

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!