What color is this Van Briggle vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tyeldom3, Oct 18, 2016.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Is there a name for this color? I only found one other Van Briggle item this color in my searching, and it was on pinterest, but had no information. Thanks for your time.
    v1.jpg v2.jpg

2. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Possibly Ming Blue

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

tyeldom3 likes this.
  5. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Gila,

It may be Teal but that isnt what the manufacturer called it.

Ladybranch,

That is the website that I used to take a stab at the color. I found adding "Possibly or Perhaps" saves me if I am waaaaaay off base LOL

Ladybranch and tyeldom3 like this.
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh, got it, Mr. Fun. They're wrong, of course!:hilarious:

komokwa and tyeldom3 like this.
  7. tyeldom3

You all are fabulous thank you so much Desperate fun, Gila and Susan:).
    I think it's much darker and slightly greener than the Ming Blue though? Isn't it? It more closely resembles my 1st pic.

Desperate that's funny about adding possibly or perhaps, lol, I usually use perhaps and maybe!:wacky:

8. tyeldom3

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is like the companies that call Vaseline glass Topaz. To me Topaz is brown, Vaseline glass is greenish yellow.
    greg

tyeldom3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

All I can tell you is that this is a more modern color. Whether they called it Ming Blue, I don't know. Could be considered a variation of it.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  11. Ladybranch

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Hey, I use "Possibly," "I think??," "wait for the gurus to chime in," etc... on most of my replies! LOL

"I think??" it closely resembles the Ming Blue color of 1906 on that page. Here is that color on clicking the thumbnail.
    http://www.clemhull.com/Glaze-Pages/1906-Turquoise.html

Have you dated the sig. marks on the bottom yet? Knowing the age would help in IDing the color glaze. I can't see the markings well enough to determine age,
    http://www.clemhull.com/Dating Van Briggle.html
    http://www.clemhull.com/BottomMarkings.html

--- Susan

Figtree3, komokwa and tyeldom3 like this.
  12. tyeldom3

Thanks so much Greg, Brad & Susan! I'm so sorry, I should have included a pic of the base!:oops: It's been a few days since I was researching this, but I do believe it is a more modern piece, like Brad said. I never did find an exact date.
    I think it is called an Anemone flower & roots vase.
    It's just strange though, that I can't find more pieces this color when searching the net.
    Thanks again for all the help.
    vb.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  13. Ladybranch

You and Brad are right. Top right has the glazer's mark, XV. That is for "John Bartlett - Glazer from 2001 through 2004." Scroll down to the "Ink Glazer Markings" section. Under this section scroll down to "XV."
    http://www.clemhull.com/BottomMarkings.html

Under "Springs" may be the finisher's mark of BWL. According to the above page this finisher is unknown.

"V1" is probably the date code for 2001. This date code is at the bottom of the above linked page.

--- Susan

14. tyeldom3

Thank you so much Susan! I did not find that information, and you're a great help!:)

Draft saved Draft deleted