What Could Have Caused this Damage on EAPG Cake Stand?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Feb 19, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Last June, while perusing a local on line auction, I spotted an EAPG Cake Stand in the Holly pattern that was kind of hidden in a bunch of household glass. Bid on it and won the whole lot for under $20. The stand was marvelous! Sold on eb for a nice sum.

Then to my complete surprise, I found another one just in January in an on line auction. Same circumstances, a shelf lot of miscellaneous glass "including a cake stand". So I looked and it was Holly pattern as well. Same on line auction company, same part of town. Wow! A trend? Will I find Holly cake stands now every 6 months?

Unfortunately, this one is not in the same condition as the previous one. It has depressions in the glass around the entire top edge, and there are 5 of them. It's like someone took a knife and touched the glass slightly, placing a little indent. Otherwise, the cake stand is in great condition - no knife marks (for a change)!

So what could have caused this weird damage? I've take a photo of the worst one. Some the indents are so slight, it's hard to photograph. Any ideas? TY!

You can see them in this photo, one at about 7 o'clock and one at 10 o'clock
    DSCF4823.jpg

This is the worst one, fairly deep and in the next photo you can see a small hole
    DSCF4836.jpg

This is the same indent as seen from the side. All the other dents are very shallow and don't go so far into the glass.
    DSCF4837.jpg

I will still sell it because it's desirable and someone may love it, dents and all. Thanks for your help!

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

had the same factory defect on a Dalzell 'Starred Block' stand several years ago. One spot on the gallery was almost like a hot knife had been place there to melt a slot. My thoughts are that it's a mfg defect where the glass is not sufficiently plunged into the mold to or trapped air is unable to escape.

*crs* likes this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yes, that's sounds exactly right.

I meant to say in my other post - how sad about the giant crack in your cake stand. It did remind me of the SafeLite commercial. I wonder if oh so many years ago, someone dropped something on it, like a knife maybe - in just the same way a wind shield takes a pebble. Everyone says "whew! luckily the cake stand didn't break!" But then there's a microscopic puncture that finally cracks while in your kitchen many decades later. Just like SafeLite said it would! (ok, now I sound like Gila but can't bring myself to call you Cakesie! LOL!)

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

I was thinking about that SafeLite ad too and wishing there was something that could be forced into that very fine fissure to FIX the problem.

5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Tallcakes, glass restorers have a fine film they use to repair and stabilize cracks. I read about it just a few months ago. I think it may have been this website.

http://www.brueningglass.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted