Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Furniture
>
What did the previous owner do to this refectory table?
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Bernard, post: 2612862, member: 16202"][ATTACH=full]271588[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]271590[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]271592[/ATTACH] My wife bought this beautiful Refectory table a while back (say 2 years ago) because of the great shape it is in and it’s narrow top compared to most modern tables. It however came in pieces and we never put it together. </p><p><br /></p><p>Well last weekend I did and discovered that the table wobbles much more than it should. </p><p><br /></p><p>Upon closer inspection I noticed that it appears to have been altered. </p><p><br /></p><p>a. I think the two horizontal long beams right below the top are not original based on the different type of wood. </p><p>b. A very well matched thin wood plate was added on the inside of each top of the main support leg to hide a slot. </p><p><br /></p><p>I have two questions:</p><p>1. Do you think I’m right? What was there instead? A single beam that fits in the middle running below the top?</p><p><br /></p><p>2. Shall I remove the two plates and install a new beam? I really want to fix the wobble, that’s my main concern. </p><p><br /></p><p>Why would someone do this? There are traces of wood glue as well so I think somebody else try to correct the issue. </p><p><br /></p><p>Any help is very much appreciated.[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Bernard, post: 2612862, member: 16202"][ATTACH=full]271588[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]271590[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]271592[/ATTACH] My wife bought this beautiful Refectory table a while back (say 2 years ago) because of the great shape it is in and it’s narrow top compared to most modern tables. It however came in pieces and we never put it together. Well last weekend I did and discovered that the table wobbles much more than it should. Upon closer inspection I noticed that it appears to have been altered. a. I think the two horizontal long beams right below the top are not original based on the different type of wood. b. A very well matched thin wood plate was added on the inside of each top of the main support leg to hide a slot. I have two questions: 1. Do you think I’m right? What was there instead? A single beam that fits in the middle running below the top? 2. Shall I remove the two plates and install a new beam? I really want to fix the wobble, that’s my main concern. Why would someone do this? There are traces of wood glue as well so I think somebody else try to correct the issue. Any help is very much appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Furniture
>
What did the previous owner do to this refectory table?
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...