Featured What do y'all think of this clock?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SeaGoat, Aug 18, 2017.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a maker's mark anywhere..

The paintings look primative enough..
    The mermaids, not sure how they fit into a country side scene..

Late 1700s/early 1900s?
    Any comments?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I don't think it's as old as its trying to look. Could be wrong. Pictures of the movement itself might help tell.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I agree that it is made to fool you into thinking it is older then it is. If it was as old as it would have you believe the quality would be better I believe. The mermaids really bother me. They look like recent Indonesian work almost. Pictures of the movement would indeed be helpful.

Christmasjoy and SeaGoat like this.
  5. SeaGoat

I initially raised a brow at a couple spots on the metal that were silver..

I had asked if itd been repaired (solder marks) but others disagreed.
    I didn't get pictures of that area bc it was so high up on the wall..
    You can see some of what I'm talking about I the photo of the mechanism

It came from a clock collectors house that has been abandoned over 20 years.
    Some of the clocks out of there are really awesome..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is called a Friese stoeltjesklok. Friese (Frisian) refers to the province of Friesland in the north of the Netherlands, 'stoeltje' is little chair, 'klok' is clock. The chair is the part on the wall, the clock 'sits' in it on those four feet.
    Stoeltjesklokken were made in different parts of The Netherlands, the mermaids are a feature of Friese stoeltjesklokken.
    That mermaid carving is not the best, but I've seen it before on genuine stoeltjesklokken. The chair, or maybe just the mermaids, could be a replacement.
    Most Friese stoeltjesklokken were made in the 18th century, but occasionally a Frisian clockmaker will still make them.

7. SeaGoat

Do you think this is one from the 18th c?

8. Any Jewelry

I am no expert on clocks, just know the general info because I've seen so many of them here in The Netherlands and I've always liked them. All I can say is, why not?
    I do know there are no fakes from Indonesia or anywhere else, I've checked. They don't bother because it is labour intensive and the clock market isn't what it used to be.

9. SeaGoat

Thanks for your reply! It's been helpful.
    I looked over the clock and I think, yeah that's a lot older and then I'll look at some parts and think, ehhhh..

The house it was pulled from was old old old. So old the man literally walked out the door 20 years ago and the floor has since fallen in.
    He only let's 1 man go in because it's such a hazard.

Maybe the metal I think are repaired areas are just scratches from its resting place or from the transportation of multiple hands over a course of a few days..?

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Your clock is very striking in appearance. Even though it looks "too good to be true", the thing that looks newest are those mermaids... the shiny surface, approximate woodworking. Could they be replacements? I don't know.
    What's the inside of the clock case made of? The interior surface underneath the movement and in front if it look very thin.

I Googled friese clock and Dutch clock and found many examples on pinterest described as vintage. Some examples to compare to, the first one is said to be from 1974:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dutch...-Chiming-Atlas-Clock-Wood-Brass-/302419178092

Some similar to yours with mermaids here:
    https://www.pinterest.com/janoege/dutch-frisian-clocks/

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/30651000_early-dutch-friese-clock-movement-and-dial

http://www.antiquedutchclocks.com

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  12. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I'm having trouble with the high quality mechanism and very low quality exterior. The crudely carved mermaids, the badly painted windmill and the "rough as guts" clock hands point to possibly an Asian or Indian mid century copy made to look old. Could be wrong.

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The only "flag" that says hummm to me is the weirdly shaped wind mill vanes. I usually see them on Asian painted pieces never on real Dutch pieces.
    greg

14. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I don't know if this means anything but zooming in on two of the bolts holding the dial, there's a shiny brass or bronze part that surrounds those. The clock is otherwise so patinated. Just something I noticed now.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

r those brush marks on the metal backing......

16. Any Jewelry

These clocks are traditional, not high art. A clock maker would make the movement, the rest is folk art. Crude painting and carving are part of the charm.
    Parts would be damaged and replaced, sometimes in an equally crude manner.

17. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

18. SeaGoat

Someone once told me you can tell Asian reproductions because when Asians paint eyes they paint them like Asian eyes instead of your more traditional American/European eyes. I saw what you were talking about with the sails and looking at the moon's eyes they kind of sort of look Asian to me, but maybe they're not?

19. Any Jewelry

Nice, that one is typical of the recent ones. A bit gaudy, but who cares.
    I think Asians are very good at painting classic European eyes. Besides, many fakes are produced in Indonesia, where many people have big round eyes or other shapes similar to European.
    In the Dutch clock community there is no mention of fake Frisian clocks.

SeaGoat likes this.
  20. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

The Dutch clock community may not discuss them but a Google search for Reproduction Friesian Clock" turns up many.
    It is probably like the Civil War Era Waltham pocket watches which are the center of my hearts desire, there are many watch forum discussions about them in minute detail but it isn't relevant in those forums to discuss the Swiss fakes that were made of those models later.

Draft saved Draft deleted