Featured What do you think this (copper?) thing was used for?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by quirkygirl, Apr 19, 2015.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Purchased from estate (it was sitting on a bookcase shelf) a while ago ... thought it would look good hanging inside the house - it looked better in my mind's eye than it does in reality. As I debate whether or not to keep it ... I'm wondering what it is?

Are these acanthus leaves? I'm guessing solid copper from the color, weight, and patina. I thought it was older because of the workmanship - looks hammered ... but I can't be sure. Any ideas?
    P1070918(1).jpg
    P1070919.JPG
    P1070920.JPG
    P1070921.JPG

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

It looks decorative to me. Likely those two 'brackets' on the back slid sideways into its mount. You could still do it this way by making one to fit.
    I think they may be Acanthus leaves.
    I like it! :)

quirkygirl likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sconce.jpg

I'm seeing a wall sconce that may have held a glassed in candle...

quirkygirl and KingofThings like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think it is from an old chandelier. They were stamped out and then riveted together to make different sections. My church had from from the 17th century and one from 1911 and they looked identical. So they have been making them that way for a long time. I have a boxful of copper and brass decorative pieces waiting to go to the scrap yard but I just cannot throw them out. So they collect dust until I'm gone then they will be tossed. sigh
    greg

quirkygirl and KingofThings like this.
  5. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Thanks, King, Komokwa, and Greg. Now that I've been looking at and touching it again, I'm starting to 'crush' on it once more :happy:. I don't know if it was part of a lighting fixture or sconce in its past, but it may be part of one in its future ... or maybe the base of a little demi-lune shelf ... IF I decide to keep it.

gregsglass, komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol quirky, so many times I've brought things home thinking the same thing. I would have brought this one home too!

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Well, I know where I would put it. Over the fireplace, but under the mantel...like a keystone. :)

KingofThings likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or hang it on the wall with a group of paintings. They make repros and sell them in craft/home dec stores for the same purpose. Might as well use the real deal. As for that box of yours, Greg, put it out on Craigslist and see if you can get a Pinterest crafter type to come get it out of your hair. Upcycling is trendy right now and somebody besides a smelter may well want the lot.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted