WHAT DOES DESIGN ON SHIELD MEAN?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jul 10, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a local thrift store. It is quite heavy & sturdy, and by the dent on one edge has been used - but in battle or play?
    The handle on the inside is not old so I'm guessing it's a prop? Or what would be better is if it was a new handle was put on a old shield.?
    Any idea what the arrow like symbol on the front means? Just as good as a old shield would be if this was a prop from one of the tv shows like Game of Thrones or Vikings!
    Any help would be appreciated - I have no idea
    Thanks
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY SHIELD 1AA RESIZED.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY SHIELD 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY SHIELD 3AA.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm having a brain freeze at the moment, but how about from one of those Medieval Meets where they have "war" games, jousting, food faires, dressing in costume, etc... just not coming up with the word or two I want........Being that IMHO, it looks like a new "repro", I might think they may not search history for a design on the shield!! Just my thought......I know if you're being Authentic, there IS HUGE history!!!!!

judy, aaroncab and i need help like this.
  3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Renaissance Fair - or reenactment...or live action role playing...any of those would work.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thanks aaron..........you found my words!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

from one of the Marvel Heroes ?

6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Oh my god, you found the shield of one of the 300! If you search for "Spartan shield", you will find a bunch online. It looks close to the ones they used for the movie... Look at the pictures in the link. I guess it is a fan article... https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/300

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

The Λ on the shield stands for Lakedaimon, the official name of Sparta in antiquity.

Figtree3, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

omg! Thank you! May be a fan piece because it's pretty heavy - movie prop wouldn't be so heavy would it?
    Thanks again - I love this site!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted