What does "VAC .12" mean, its etched on top of green wine glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by joe wilson, Aug 1, 2019.

1. joe wilson

joe wilson New Member

Sorry. It actually says " VCA,.2.4 " and a line next to it. Is it a fill line? Its on ornate old wine glasses that I got from a french collector's estate sale/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Joe! I think it would be helpful to attach good pictures of the both the whole glass and a closeup of the mark you mention.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    kyratango and i need help like this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I do believe that this is an innocent typo - We do not usually Sell items on this forum. Sorry Cluttered - I didn't want the OP to be mislead.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Should read "see" them?

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours is what I call a Rhine wine glass. Others will call it a Roemer. VCA is the measure, of course, but what the abbreviation stands for dunno. And, fyi, don't think glass is terribly old or of great import. It appears to have a "Libby lip" which is found on modern, mass produced glassware.

Debora

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

UncleChuckTX, kyratango and SBSVC like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You were correct.
    My fingers type different words than the brain thinks.
    Edit button was still showing so I went in and corrected my mistake.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  11. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Thanks for understanding my motivation! I wasn't trying to be a pompous arse, only helpful.......................

12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The number 0,2 means 0.2 Litres or Liters as they like to say in the US.

One third of a pint or 0.845351 US cups:hilarious:

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what would that be in gills ?

daveydempsey likes this.
  14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Two fish.

;)

Fid and daveydempsey like this.
  15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

US Gill 1.6907

UK Gill 1.4078

:hilarious::hilarious:

Fid likes this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I will miss it. :) especially the crown of English precision - a loaf of bread. :kiss:

17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

What's a Gill?

Back on track, I think these are lovely and I have some in my barware and cherish them. I think they are used when drinking a chilled sweet light white wine. The stems are interesting and I read a long time ago that they keep the hot fingers away from the cool wine.

Also read that they evolved from an earthenware stem that allowed a good grasp when your fingers were greasy. From eating meats with your fingers. No one used silver ware back in the day. Ha Ha. Everyone should have some!

i need help likes this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

please disregard the Wiki article about "Rummers" and get google translate the one in German.
    the fairytales about it being for white wine - chilled ??? - and the Netherlands is nonsense. those had to import even simple saltglaze water bottles from Raeren and Westerwald and it may well be that glasses were imported on the same trails.
    the Römer glasses had a certain revival after the 1950s especially due to the German marketing of Moselwein and other sugarwater from along the Rhine; mostly exported to English supermarkets for binge drinking because nobody on the continent would drink them.

Draft saved Draft deleted