what is best way to learn Japanese pottery marks?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Apr 27, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

I have picked up a couple books but the subject seems harder than the European marks. Should I just join the Gotheburg site as well? Ive learned a lot here but I want to be at least sort of able to recognize the most obvious marks. There doesnt seem to be many good data bases for this sort of thing. Any suggestions?

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The gotheborg site seems the most comprehensive and best organized, although not perfect. You don't have to join anything.

3. sunday silence

But do they have a data base of marks, or do you simply ask questions? I think you have to join to ask questions.

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

@Couch Potato Wannabe might know some good sources...and there are others that are usually tagged when seeking this sort of information. Perhaps, someone will tag them since I cannot remember who they are at the moment.

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It's a data base. Click on Japanese marks on the left menu.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Gotheborg has a public access area that has Chinese and Japanese marks as well as lots of other information. There is also a Discussion board that you pay a monthly or yearly fee to use. I've done the pay section several years and it's similar to this board in that you discuss ceramics with other members. They are very knowledgeable and rather proper so good manners are required;). (I'm not currently enrolled though)

7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have not "joined" just do my best to use the free section when needed.

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  9. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Feel free to ask anyone in general or tag in people, me even if you wish. I have a few means of deciphering much of the ancient and modern Chinese, Japanese and Korean. If I can't help for any particular reason, I will still at least respond.

scoutshouse, komokwa and judy like this.
  10. sunday silence

thanks again for all your answers here and elsewhere.

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Currently it's $9.95 per month or $29 per year. I don't have enough questions to ask or things to research right now to warrant a membership.

scoutshouse likes this.
  12. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

the best way to learn japanese mark is learn japanese,:hilarious:

Bakersgma likes this.
  13. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Well, there's also earlier form of Japanese and ancient Japanese which visually appears nothing like the modern day equivalents in many cases.
    So not just learn Japanese, but study the history of each characters development as well. If the intent is to be better versed at identify specifically Japanese marks on antiques.

Otherwise, find several good reference books specifically on the topic of antiques and the marks associated.

14. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

yes of course,if someone want to learn and well understanding,they must studied hard and intense,but she means that "the best way" so i assume to get quick comprehension and 1st thing is to learn its local language,because mostly japanese mark especially the old one is using kanji word isn't it?but if she want more well deep understanding then learn japanese only isn't not enough,:happy::happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted