Featured WHAT IS LARGE MID CENTURY? ASHTRAY MADE OF?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 16, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me what this is made of?
    What year/years?
    A friend saw it & she immediately told me "Himalaya sea salt" when I asked her! I don't know if that's a real thing, but I like that name for some reason - it could sell shampoo, cereal...something; it's a cool name!
    Is this made from Himalaya sea salt?! I thought it was ridiculous - but it has a shell like thing on the top edge to protect? the stone (or sea salt?) - what is that?
    Seriously, I thought quartz, but it feels soft like soap stone - but that couldn't handle burning cigarettes could it?
    PS - It's heavy!

ASHTRAY STONE WHITE LARGE 1A_AA.JPG ASHTRAY STONE WHITE LARGE 1AA.JPG ASHTRAY STONE WHITE LARGE 2AA.JPG ASHTRAY STONE WHITE LARGE 8AA.JPG

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Looks more like a hunk of quartz/quartzite to me. If it's Himalayan salt - it would be pink, would taste salty - and be easily scratched with a table knife. Soapstone would be easily scratched with a table knife too. Quartz would not. Agree that it's an ashtray, and I think the "shell" like stuff on the edge is just a natural part of the stone - may be a different material than the white part but wasn't put there artificially I wouldn't think.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    judy, kyratango, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Items can be made of rock salt, like Himalayan salt. The fashion for Himalayan salt is pretty recent, and as Aaron said, almost all Himalayan salt is pink. It is mined in Pakistan.

In Europe we used get items made of Polish rock salt, which has a nice warm yellowish colour.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. journeymagazine

8. journeymagazine

I'll try to scratch it to see how easy it is to do

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Try licking it. :p

aaroncab likes this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

i need help, all_fakes and aaroncab like this.
  11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'm with Jivvy; I'd say this is one of the types of stone commonly called onyx. Doesn't look like any kind of soapstone or salt to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted