What is the Holy Grail of Antiquers?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Roadkillxp, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Talk about a holy grail: Peace on Earth, goodwill to men. (sigh)

2. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Thought we were discussing true possibilities. My Holy Grails aren’t quite antique and they’re art:

An original Henry Darger and/or Martin Ramirez. Going for jewelry and newer, a Charles Loloma landscape bracelet that fits me perfectly.

kyratango, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Now you're talking!:happy:

reader and komokwa like this.
  4. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

If you do find one get a magnet and see if it sticks. If it does then it is a just a copper coated steel penny.

reader likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya, I'd wear Loloma in a heartbeat !!

AJefferson, reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

I have, but only for a show. It was amazing though. It was also amazing being able to handle every piece of jewellery he had brought over to Europe, so much beauty made by such a talented artist.

AJefferson, reader and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& nothing ended up in your pocket ???
    yer a saint !!

AJefferson, Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I almost gave in a few years ago. Tiny gold pair of coral inlay studs for IMO a crazy amount of money. Only justifiable IMO for someone who can totally say that owning a piece of Loloma is enough, regardless of the piece. I’m close but not quite there. The deal breaker was a tiny chip in the coral and an honest response to my husband’s question of whether I’d have any interest in them if they weren’t CL to which I answered “no”.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  9. Roadkillxp

Roadkillxp Well-Known Member

10. evelyb30

Me too. Or an nice chunk of unsigned pre-War Navajo work. Moghul enamel necklaces.... Anything big and chunky or totally gaudy. That cost silly money even new.

11. Any Jewelry

I have my saintly moments.:angelic::hilarious:
    He made a lot of those tiny studs, just for that reason. Do you remember those studs with just his signature? I mean, really!:rolleyes:

komokwa, reader and kyratango like this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

They were beautifully done-under a loupe lol. That’s how I found the chip! I can’t believe I almost bought them. Glad I didn’t but he’s still my jewelry Holy Grail and I have owned a small piece of Faberge. I found it a new home in the 80s. It was a small pink enameled belt buckle. Pristine and I knew I’d chip it if I wore it. Even then it was a good investment but can’t imagine what it would be worth today.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  13. neil moats

neil moats Member

Just an FYI, it's not common for peasants of any period to have an archeological trail of their existence. This is true for Jesus. Egyptians and Romans of this time were extremely wealthy and this is the reason why you see artifacts and "physical evidence" from them. We have a written account of Jesus' time on earth with the Bible. If you choose to discount the Bible for whatever reason, other non-biblical Roman text from authors such as Flavius and Tactius give an account of Jesus' existence.

I understand your point regarding the Shroud of Turin and other Catholic "artifacts" that have been discovered to be manufactured. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the Catholic Church has been known to push its own agenda ahead of the teachings and word of Jesus. Christians aren't perfect and the Catholic Church and their many shortcomings should not be your impression of Jesus. He came to redeem us because we are flawed.

Anyway, our salvation is by Grace through FAITH and physical evidence isn't necessary. I also understand this is difficult for intellectual and evidentiary thinkers (I am one) but that's the way it is. God loves you.

FishLure likes this.
  14. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

https://godisimaginary.com/

FishLure likes this.
  15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

16. evelyb30

It was in fact a medieval legend, at least as it now stands. The original was a lump of low-fired pottery, and odds are it didn't survive more than a year after the Last Supper. ( for those of us who believe that actually happened.) Peasant stuff doesn't generally survive, except for those danged oil lamps. Even poor folks had like 15 in the house and those are all over the place.

17. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Religion and politics are two topics that escalate quickly, regardless of the original forum topic. I've learned to avoid them. You can beat a dead horse, but you can't make it drink.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Meh, most of the Bible was written centuries after, anyhow. And don't get me started on dodgy translations.

Back to treasures: I'll take Schiaparelli jewellery. And nigh on anything from the Cairo Museum.

reader, Any Jewelry and daveydempsey like this.
  19. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Agreed,

Its all anonymous hearsay evidence inadmissible in a court of law in many nations.

Physical evidence, eye witness accounts, facts facts and more facts.

Not evidence of beliefs.

Edit,
    I have given factual evidence many many times in Law Courts, I never once swore on the bible, I gave the affirmation.

In law, an affirmation is a solemn declaration allowed to those who conscientiously object to taking an oath. An affirmation has exactly the same legal effect as an oath but is usually taken to avoid the religious implications of an oath.

I never lost a case.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    anundverkaufen and komokwa like this.
  20. neil moats

neil moats Member

What book of the Bible was written anonymously? The Gospels are specifically first hand, eye witness accounts of Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection. Not to mention the authors all died horrible deaths for taking the position it was true. Awful bold stance if the author didn’t really believe it to be true.