What is the Holy Grail of Antiquers?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Roadkillxp, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

IS he really gone?

Damn we're getting old

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm one Christian who learned her lesson about getting into religious arguments on line back before there was a graphic interface. Not doing it. I'm only dumb once.

BTW - "breathed" in this case is a literal translation of the word used. It sounds funny, but makes sense in context. Not something I'd use around y'all heathens though; you think I'm crazy enough as it is!

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

At this point there isn't any one thing that I really want to find. What I would really like is a house big enough to show off what I have stacked all around in piles. And a maid to do the cleaning and serve me coffee while I read and eat chocolates.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Powerball, then !! :happy::happy:

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would't swear on the bible either. It contains stories of rape, murder etc, and I have to agree that is ok, and then say I will speak the truth? Not really.
    That doesn't mean I disrespect Christians or other faithful who attempt to do good in the name of their faith. It is just that I would be a hypocrite if I swore on a book I have no genuine affinity with.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

So, not one Gospel written contemporaneously even according to a fundie website, and many books well after the death of the "author".

Anyhow, I don't credit fundie websites sans evidence. Even our Catholic priests said not one single New Testament book was written at the time. And of course, they were in Greek not Hebrew. Christ, if he existed, spoke Aramaic.

The earliest full list is Athanasius, fourth century.

daveydempsey and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

And so do 'us' theologians. Plus there was heavy editing, and only selecting those gospels that were acceptable to church authorities of the time.
    Agree, Koinè Greek, which is an Attic type Greek with a Syriac influence. I had to learn it during my theology study, not that I remember much of it.
    And yes, Aramaic was the main language of Palestine at the time of Jesus.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  8. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Subjects we don’t discuss here

Basically it’s common sense. Just about every person on the planet has heard the saying – “never discuss politics and/or religion”. Why ? Because it starts fights, arguments and causes nothing but hate and discontent. If you wish to discuss politics and or religion, then go someplace else. We don’t allow it here.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thank you, @bobsyouruncle I've been waiting for someone to quote that.

10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

But we are discussing antiquities with a religious background.
    Some including myself are saying they don't exist by using facts to prove it.

Others are saying they do or have existed despite them having no evidence.

komokwa and Ownedbybear like this.
  11. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Proof! (I'm only here for the jokes...:angelic::angelic::angelic:)
    signed Bible.jpg

12. Any Jewelry

Well there you go, a signature.:)

13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have to add to the list...I do not discuss politics, religion, abortion or sex with most people, just a very few I know well and know are fine with agreeing to disagree. In fact, most everyone I know has no idea what I feel about any of those subjects. I find it makes life much calmer :)

14. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I'm with @Marie Forjan - all of those subjects are avoided in my world too.

kyratango and bobsyouruncle like this.
  15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Kinda agree. I personally have no issue with anyone discussing ANY of the aforementioned topics on an appropriate thread which IMO this isn’t. If the OP had asked us “ What Is An Antiquers Dream Find” (or similar) we wouldn’t even be having this inane conversation. Semantics totally allowed an interesting conversation to be completely redirected. Welcome to all believers, agnostics and atheists among us. Who cares? Can we get back to “dream” Antiques! [And nothing Freudian...please!)

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Have been mulling over the original question. In glyptics, my area of interest, I know of no single piece that I or other collectors especially covet. The thrill comes when you pick up something that turns out to be much more interesting than represented, such as the seal I asked for help with in its own thread that was sold as being a couple of hundred years old but is almost certainly closer to 2,000 years old. It's like having the grail find you.

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I agree to some extent. There are some things I've wanted to find for years, and some are more ..." I found a WHAT"?

Any Jewelry, reader and Bronwen like this.