What Is The Rationale For Most Estate Sales Starting On Thursday?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Just curious and wanted to hear some reasoning on why Thursdays are standard practice for most estate sale companies.

Are Thursday openings meant to cater to full time dealers and retired folks? I'd assume that Saturdays would draw the largest crowds since a lot of people still work M-F 8-5 jobs which would make attending on Thursday mornings really difficult.

Or perhaps they are not trying to compete with auctions or flea markets which are usually scheduled on weekends?

Your Thoughts?

Ghopper1924 and Lucille.b like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

like a long weekend ...the more days the better ...
    sAt & Sun..is not enuf time to clean out an estate ....and the extra 2 days also serve as advertizing ...for folks to plan a weekend visit.. imo

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In these Covid days, opening on Thursday does let the dealers in before the general public and keeps the crowds spread out in general. Around here they generally start on Fridays. I've rarely seen a Thursday opening.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We haven't had many at all since early March, but most runners start them on Friday both before COVID and after.

Ghopper1924 and Joe2007 like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Thursdays have been standard for a long time here in CA.
    A lot of sales are over on Saturday, which gives the estate people Sunday to clean up and do whatever was agreed upon.

Ghopper1924 and Joe2007 like this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It started in the seventies with the sun newspaper coming out on Wednesdays with the newest garage sAle listings.

Joe2007 and Lucille.b like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Long ago, in the Bay Area where there is a lot of traffic; I actually started a couple of garage sales on Thursday evening 5pm-9pm.
    Summer evenings were warm and and it stayed light out. I would catch people going home from work who didn't get to go to the start of sales.
    Actually was very successful.

Not sure it would work as well here in my rural area.

8. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

We do 25-30 estate sales a year and always run them on Friday & Saturday from 9:00-3:00. There have only been a handful of occasions that I've done a sale that includes Thursday. The people who came on Thursday were the same ones who normally come on Friday (dealers & retirees for the most part). Didn't see a benefit to it, since it just caused light traffic on Friday. The volume of customers didn't change, but the cost we incurred for staff did. It also took away a day that I could be setting up another house.

Two sale days is generally sufficient to clear a house. When we do sales for businesses, we run them on Friday & Saturday over two weekends. As far as when people come, Friday mornings are busiest due to the best selection and Saturday afternoon for the best deals.

I think it all depends on your location though. We're in a metro area of roughly 500,000 people. That's a pretty large buyers pool! If it were rural and customers had to travel a distance to get there, I can see how Thursdays might help.

Joe2007 and komokwa like this.
  9. evelyb30

Some rummage sales here do a Thrurs night open, when we have rummage sales. It attracts the pros and the veterans and other folks willing to pay top dollar. Those nighttime sales charge an admission fee too as often as not.

Joe2007 likes this.
  10. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Those admission fees for rummage sales irritate me to no end! Yeah I'll pay a small fee for a large antique market or collectables show with dozens or hundreds of sellers but I won't pay to see a rummage or estate sale early.

11. evelyb30

I'm the other way around. The charity gets money whether you buy anything or not, but a for-profit picking my pocket for getting in the door is just irritating. I don't mind unless like one sale a few years back, they get greedy and then get insultingly rude afterward.

12. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

We did sales for years. Originally, we started on Thursday; but we're in a bigger town in a rural area and Thursday didn't do much for us. We also offered Sunday; but we have a big church population and Sundays were generally duds. So we stopped advertising Sundays. People would still pop in occasionally if we were about and, of course, asking for deals. Depending on the estate, and the wishes of the heirs, sometimes we'd really be able to churn a lot out the door on an unadvertised Sunday.
    Leslie

13. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I agree Joe2007! It would have to be a mighty big sale that would entice me. But since 1st days are at full price and generally more than I'd want to pay in the first place - to add an entrance fee is offputting! I'd much rather wait till the last day and 50% off and wheeling and dealing!

14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Around here the usual start date is Friday. Which I understand - dealers first and then the general public.

What I don’t get (and it really annoys me) is why so many local auctions have an in person pick up date in the middle of the day on a weekday. There are so many auctions I would have happily purchased multiple items but I can’t take off a day from work to pick up! Why limit your market to dealers, retirees, and the occasional stay at home parent? Most people work and multiple bidders is in their interest!

15. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Around here they often start on Thursday. Dealers have to mind their shops on the weekends so getting away on Thurs. is possible. if they run three days many discount 25% on Friday and 50% on Saturday with Thursday full price. Not too many run on Sunday.

16. evelyb30

Around here auction pick up is generally on a Saturday, but prices on anything I'd want go so sky high there's no point in looking. I almost bid on a lot once, even registered my card, but between the price and the buyer's premium...nope.

Estate sales generally run Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday, depending on sale runner preference. Sometimes it's Saturday only. Thursdays are rare. Rummage sales on Thursdays did happen; one church and the synagogues would do their preview evenings then. They'd get your $5 for the early access. The one church that offered food/wine with $10 access were the rude idiots I referenced above.

Draft saved Draft deleted