What is this, a farm tool?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Randy Stephen Evans, Dec 23, 2019.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

My granddad used to talk about the virgin stands of long leaf yellow pine that still remained when he was growing up in west central Georgia in the first 2 decades of the 1900's. He said they were tall, and the forest quite open below them, very unlike the dense stands that grew up after the farming that replaced the virgin forest.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Liz - Wow - six Sand Hill Cranes in one territory must get interesting. We have a breeding pair that have settled in our small central Florida town. This is one of this years hatchlings photographed by one of my neighbors.
    sand hill colt.jpg

Figtree3, komokwa, Taupou and 2 others like this.
  3. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

@elarnia Thank you for cute photo! Yes, the Sand Hill Cranes are fun to watch. We've been following several generations for 12 years now. With the lake below us the Cranes come up to feed with their chicks as soon as they're big enough to walk. Here are some favorite snaps from different years.
    SH-chick-a-April-17-2018.jpg SH-chick-a-April-24-2018.jpg Sand-Hill-Cranes-visit-Irma.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Well, this old-ish thread became very interesting! I hope the original poster comes back to see the replies.

Draft saved Draft deleted