Featured What is this article of clothing called?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Tom Mackay, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect it was made by a Great Aunt, but there's no one left alive who knows its provenance.
    Other than a "top", is it called something ?
    There are 3 buttons below the front of the collar and a cute little pocket.
    I found it rolled in tissue, stored in a trunk that was at the back of a closet
    when I cleared out the farmhouse. 20180906_184356.jpg 20180906_184453.jpg 20180906_184526.jpg

Pat P, scoutshouse, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like a bed jacket.

Aquitaine, Pat P, SBSVC and 4 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Make that 2 for bed jacket.

Aquitaine, Pat P, judy and 6 others like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Make it three for bed jacket. When you had no central heating and you wanted to read in bed you needed it.
    greg

Aquitaine, Pat P, judy and 6 others like this.
  5. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Back in the 1960's when my kids were born, we spent a full week in the maternity ward. I had a small wardrobe of these bedjackets to wear when receiving afternoon and evening guests in the hospital. How times have changed!

Aquitaine, Pat P, scoutshouse and 8 others like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

yep, bed jacket

Aquitaine, Pat P, scoutshouse and 6 others like this.
  7. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Thank you all !
    Pretty unanimous !!!
    Our family farmhouse had no central heating for the first 120 years after it was built. Nor an indoor toilet (commodes and thunder mugs excepted).

scoutshouse, cxgirl, judy and 7 others like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My beloved Grandma had a yellow quilted satin one she liked to wear when her shoulders got a chill. I hadnt thought about that thing in 40 years.

scoutshouse, bluumz, cxgirl and 11 others like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

These days we just wear sweats to bed and to heck with it. Those jackets turn up in estate sales and old movies sometimes.

10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

My Aunty knitted me a bed jacket when I was 16 yrs old, it was pink and she sewed some fancy lace around the collar and cuffs .. I thanked her profusely, hugged her, and then put it away. I don't know what happened to it ... it was quite ghastly actually, the lace didn't do a thing for it .. Dear, Dear Aunty ... Joy.

Pat P, scoutshouse, bluumz and 9 others like this.
  11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I had a lovely sea foam green bed jacket my mother bought for me when I was preggers. I loved it but I never got much use out of it... ;)

12. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

I took my favorite bed jacket (yes some of us still use them) to the hospital with when I delivered my daughter. L0vely light sea-foam green chenille and comfy as the dickens. Just came across it in the attic last week. Just can't let it go yet. Maybe soon, but not yet.

scoutshouse, bluumz, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile I don't even use a bathrobe; I keep a fleece whatsit on the back of the bathroom door but it's not a bathrobe.

14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I recall bed jackets being the default gift choice for a woman who was having a planned hospitalization or one that was going to be prolonged when you didn't want to burden anyone with flowers or plants. But still great if you're someone who likes to sit up in bed before sleeping & the room is sometimes chilly. Still useful as an energy saving device: they let you keep the thermostat lower & still be comfortable.

15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

There is a new trending term floating around right now that might be cool for the bed jacket if you are listing it.
    "Grandma Chic"...
    How long that term will last, G'd only knows.

Pat P, scoutshouse, bluumz and 3 others like this.
  16. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

My Mum used to have a bed jacket made out of a pinky mauve coloured, super soft Chenille. She looked a bit like a walking bedspread, but I just loved how soft it was to the touch. I haven't thought of that since I was a child. :)

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I know people who wear these as wraps in a sort of ironic way.

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I had one when I was 16 and I loved it because I sat up all nice listening to my transistor radio and we didn't have central heating.

Sandra, Bronwen, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  19. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Is there anything more genteel than a bed jacket?? I think possibly :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Sandra, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  20. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Not bed jacket territory, but that rose printed quilted fabric reminded me of the matching circle skirts and matching oatmeal box covered curler holders my mom made for my sister and I and my two cousins.

Since I was the youngest, and we wore a lot of hand-me-downs, I had far too many circle skirts to wade through.

Not a lot of retail in our house <3

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted