What is this Asian coin? It was shipped to me from an unknown person

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gauntlettgems, Apr 18, 2020.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

I was sent thes from Singapore a year or so ago and don't know why No note or anything Just wondering what it is Thank you 5FB6D68F-23C8-4955-9CBC-EC218B184211_1_201_a.jpeg 287583BF-EE15-40EE-9906-F84E3AD3B6C1_1_201_a.jpeg

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

China 'cash' coin

I don't believe there is one with value

Christmasjoy and gauntlettgems like this.
  3. gauntlettgems

It was just so weird that it showed up for no reason Maybe a thank you from a Chinese buyer I know I shipped a few items to Singapore that year Oh well I'm going to look that up TY!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Well at least not that one - very worn and cleaned to boot.
    Ya got a bolt that needs a washer? :) (Oh watch this be a high dollar piece, ;))
    Those symbols on it tell where it was minted and the year - but you have to look that up - I can't remember the website for info.

5. gauntlettgems

@terry5732 It is so much easier to look things up when ya know what it is you are looking at ty

This looks similar to mine and this is what it says it is (possibly):

The hole in the middle of this coin was used to thread a number of coins together on a string for easy carrying. The characters on this coin tell you it is Asian. It’s a Chinese copper alloy one-cash coin. It was made by the Beijing Board of Revenue mint during the reign of the Chinese emperor Qianlong (1736-1795), of the Qing dynasty (1644-1911).It says (in Chinese): ‘Qianlong tongbao’, or ‘circulating treasure of Qianlong’. The writing on the back says (in Manchu): ‘chiowan’, ‘boo’, or the ‘Board of Revenue mint’.

I meant to add that it is nothing but just a cool coin Thank you!

Figtree3, Bronwen, kentworld and 4 others like this.
  6. gauntlettgems

@Rayo56 I looked it up briefly I'm not a millionaire I'll look more when I have some more "free" time lol

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I guess you never watched the historical dramas.... Detective Dee or Detective K with all of the bad Royal court officials and their counterfeiting the money of China and Korea.

sabre123, Rayo56 and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have a sword made of those coins....too bad Customs ruined it when they tore it apart...:yawn:

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Chinese sellers often include little charms like 'good luck' cash coins in their packages. They are a dime a dozen.:playful:
    Apart from the practicality of the shape it also has earth-heaven symbolism, which is probably why they were regarded as lucky throughout East Asia.
    :arghh::banghead:

11. gauntlettgems

Don't know who those guys are lol @Hollyblue

@komokwa Ugh, what a tragedy!

@Any Jewelry Really? Mine was sent to me without being prompted by a sale It just came in the mail out of nowhere I even had to check the package to make sure I was the addressee The only thing I could think of was a sale to Singapore that had occurred and maybe they sent a coin for thanks? There was no note or anything It was weird I was just curious about it

Thank you everyone for responding

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My memory of this is very sketchy, but know I once heard that people were being puzzled by receiving packages from Asian shippers with odd things of little value inside, a key chain, one shoe. It had something to do with boosting numbers of orders fulfilled...? And maybe improving position in search results?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadesh...packages-from-asian-e-criminals/#4132c8c69f3a

13. gauntlettgems

Interesting!

14. komokwa

there must have been a return address ?

15. gauntlettgems

Yeah, A PO box in singapore

16. komokwa

send them back a penny.....with thanks !!! :happy::happy::happy:

gauntlettgems likes this.
  17. komokwa

I though it might even be an older one......but it got trashed....:(:(

IMG_7748.JPG IMG_7749.JPG IMG_7750.JPG

the metal rod in the middle of the coins must have looked like....drugs....guns...illegal immigrants...?????????????
    cuz they stripped half the coins off.....:mad:

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Weren't these used as buttons sometimes?

19. gauntlettgems

komokwa likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They were used for all sorts of things throughout Southeast Asia.
    Like these, used at the ends of the cords that tie the slats of Indonesian 'lontar' palm leaf books together.

upload_2020-4-21_15-40-39.jpeg

I used to have better photos of my lontar books, so you can see what they actually look like, but this is the only one I can find.:(

gauntlettgems, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted