What is this? Junk? Japanese Shuriken?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Jan 24, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Bought this on a whim over the weekend. Owner had some nice Asian items. I got the feeling they had been brought back from military service there, probably during WWII. I have no idea what this is but it’s reminiscent enough of a “ninja throwing star” to make you wonder. The Japanese called throwing weapons Shuriken it looks like. Could it be this? Is it a Repro/fake? Some industrial piece that has nothing to do with a weapon? I remember as a kid my dad had something resembling a throwing star to my eyes. Turns out it was used when he worked in a thread mill as a young man for cutting. This piece is quite big compared to the throwing stars you’d see in movies or for sale as novelty items. Dime for scale. A21070B6-BE38-4F88-B569-B4A74D7C9D37.jpeg

komokwa and judy like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Looks like a "Throwing Star". Don't really know what else it would be. Or a meat grinder blade without the hole in it - LOL!

J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What about that rectangle in the middle??? Any way you can rub on it to see if any letters show up......???? Is the others side exactly the same?

J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a strange cut and size for a 4 pointed star......but don't throw it at me please....

:eek::eek::eek::jawdrop:

Aquitaine and J Dagger like this.
  5. J Dagger

I think that was probably left by removing of a sticker or tape. Seller uses heavy tape to mark prices. Looks like whatever was there had been there for a while though. I bought something else that had a very old piece of tape with country of origin written on it so this may have had the same thing on it.

Aquitaine and Rayo56 like this.
  6. J Dagger

If you search “antique Shuriken” you’ll see quite a variety of shapes and sizes. I don’t find this exact one though. It’s pretty thick and heavy. Even though it’s not sharp anymore (assuming it once was) you’re correct that you wouldn’t want it thrown at you. 2700634B-C52B-420C-B6ED-984AD8F13B0C.jpeg

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted